Authority of Winehouse coroner probed
- Photo: Matt Dunham/Invision/AP1 of 17
- Photo: WENN/Splash/.2 of 17
- Photo: Vince Maher/WENN3 of 17
- Photo: Mischa Richter/Island Records/Promotional4 of 17
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin5 of 17
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Daniel Edwards/Splash News7 of 17
- Photo: Daniel Edwards/Splash News8 of 17
- Photo: ZWAA/WENN9 of 17
- Photo: Islandpaps/Splash News10 of 17
- Photo: Daniel Deme/WENN11 of 17
- Photo: Daniel Deme/WENN12 of 17
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News13 of 17
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News14 of 17
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com15 of 17
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com16 of 17
More Celeb News
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court saysMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Is Writing and Producing His Own Projects to CreatMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:45:00 PM
- Jeff Blake's Departure at Sony Leaves Amy Pascal With No One Else to BlameMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: Chicago Fire's Triangle, a Scandal Death and Sleepy Sneakiness MSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Ken Burns 'Thrilled' About Central Park Five SettlementMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:27:00 PM
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court says
LONDON (AP) -- The coroner who oversaw the inquest into the death of singer Amy Winehouse has resigned after her qualifications were questioned, officials said Wednesday - raising the possibility the investigation may have to be held again.
Winehouse's relatives said they were still absorbing the implications of the news and were seeking legal advice.In October, Suzanne Greenaway had ruled that the soul singer had died from accidental alcohol poisoning.
Greenaway had been appointed an assistant deputy coroner in London in 2009 by her husband, Coroner Andrew Reid.
But she resigned in November after authorities learned she had not been a registered U.K. lawyer for five years as required. She had practiced law for a decade in her native Australia."
RELATED: Amy Winehouse's Life in Pictures
"I appointed my wife as an assistant deputy coroner as I believed at the time that her experience as a solicitor and barrister in Australia satisfied the requirements of the post," he said in a statement Wednesday.
"In November of last year it became apparent that I had made an error in the appointment process and I accepted her resignation."
Greenaway oversaw 12 inquests in Camden, the north London borough where Winehouse lived, and others in eastern London.Reid said he was "confident that all of the inquests handled were done so correctly" - but offered to hold the inquests over again if the families of the deceased wanted it.
Winehouse's family said it had not yet decided what to do.
In a statement, the family said it was "taking advice on the implications of this and will decide if any further discussion with the authorities is needed."
A security guard found Winehouse dead in bed July 23 at her home in the north London neighborhood of Camden.
The 27-year-old singer, known for her beehive hairdos and multiple Grammy-winning album "Back to Black," had battled drug and alcohol addiction for years.
At the October inquest, Greenaway delivered a verdict of "death by misadventure," saying the singer suffered accidental alcohol poisoning when she resumed drinking after weeks of abstinence.
RELATED: Celebs Gone Too Soon
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Kim Kardashian, and Eva Longoria all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTexas Heat
From Crowd Ignite