Beyonce calls herself 'a modern-day feminist'
- Photo: Vogue1 of 10
- Photo: Wonderwall2 of 10
- Photo: APL/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Instagram/.5 of 10
- Photo: Larry Busacca/Getty Images North America6 of 10
- Photo: Larry Busacca/Getty Images North America7 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Blasts Past The Rock's 'HerMSNEntertainment 7/26/2014 8:16:00 AM
- Sam Raimi Writing 'Evil Dead' TV Series That Will Include Bruce CampbellMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 10:36:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Fires Writer Over Multiple Instances of PlagiarismMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 9:31:00 PM
- Fox at Comic-Con: James Bond Is Whack, We're Making Movies With Balls (and Jokes)MSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 7:26:00 PM
- Sleepy Hollow Season 2: Is Ichabod a Gleek? MSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 7:21:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Blasts Past The Rock's 'Her
Beyonce's own unique brand of fierceness finally has a name: "modern-day feminist." Just don't try to pigeonhole the "Love on Top" singer to be a certain type of woman, she tells the May issue of Vogue U.K.
"That word can be very extreme," she replied when asked if she considers herself a feminist. "But I guess I am a modern-day feminist. I do believe in equality."
"Why do you have to choose what type of woman you are?" she mused. "Why do you have to label yourself anything? I'm just a woman, and I love being a woman."
The 31-year-old singer added that being married to her husband of four years, Jay-Z, 34, has helped her to be confident in her career, despite naysayers who have criticized her for naming her latest tour after Jay-Z (his real name is Shawn Carter).
"I feel like Mrs. Carter is who I am, but more bold and more fearless than I've ever been," she said of being one-half of hip-hop's royal couple. "I do believe in equality, and that we have a ways to go. But I'm happily married. I love my husband."
The superstar singer is set to kick off her Mrs. Carter world tour on April 15 in Serbia. And, as she noted in an intimate interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier this year, Jay-Z's support will be especially crucial during the grueling tour schedule.
"I would not be the woman I am if I did not go home to that man," the famously private singer told Winfrey on "Oprah's Next Chapter" in February. "It just gives me such a foundation."
Another source of inspiration? The superstar couple's little daughter, Blue Ivy, 14 months. The "Bow Down" singer told Vogue U.K. that she truly learned to open up after giving birth to Blue last January.
"It comes from knowing my purpose and really meeting myself once I saw my child," she said. "I was like, 'OK, this is what you were born to do.' The purpose of my body became completely different. The way I view it and everything. There's a sensuality and an audacity that I'm OK with sharing."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTDown-low Romance
From Crowd Ignite