Beyonce, Jay Z attend Trayvon Martin rally in New York City
- Photo: Rachel Noerdlinger/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Mary Altaffer/Invision/AP2 of 11
- Photo: AG8/JLF/ZOJ/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/GettyImages.com4 of 11
- Photo: Anthony J. Causi/Splash News5 of 11
- Photo: Fame Flynet6 of 11
- Photo: Patrick McMullan/.7 of 11
- Photo: CMG/ZOJ/WENN8 of 11
- Photo: iam.beyonce.com/.9 of 11
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA10 of 11
More Celeb News
- William Guarnere, 'Band of Brothers' Character and WWII Vet, Dead at 90MSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 7:41:00 AM
- ESPN Combining Grantland, Nate Silver's FiveThirtyEight, ESPN Films Into One UnitMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 7:24:00 AM
- Rodriguez gives it to viewers straight with El ReyMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 7:02:28 AM
- Efron: I'll Accept MTV Movie Award Shirtless!MSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 6:37:00 AM
- Ruffalo and Bomer Kiss In 'The Normal Heart' TeaserMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 6:18:00 AM
- William Guarnere, 'Band of Brothers' Character and WWII Vet, Dead at 90
A day after Jay Z and Justin Timberlake dedicated the song "Forever Young" to slain teen Trayvon Martin at their Friday night concert at Yankee Stadium, the rapper and his wife, Beyonce, attended a rally to fight for justice in the teen's honor in New York City on Saturday.
The rally, which was also attended by Rev. Al Sharpton, community leaders, and members of public, was organized in wake of the highly-publicized trial and sentence involving Martin.
(During a February altercation, George Zimmerman, 29, a neighborhood watch volunteer, claimed he shot Martin in self-defense after the youth, who was unarmed, knocked him to the ground, punched him, and slammed his head against the sidewalk. The fatal shooting sparked a heated debate about racial profiling around the country after Zimmerman was found not guilty of second-degree murder and was acquitted of manslaughter during the July 13 sentencing.)
At the rally, the "Girls (Run the World)" singer, 31, and her hubby, 43, kept a low profile, but posed with Sharpton and Martin's mother, Sybrina Fulton at one point during the day.
According to Huffington Post, 58-year-old Sharpton, a civil rights activist, recognized that the star couple were in attendance during his speech.
"Jay Z and Beyonce said they didn't want to speak and they didn't come for a photo op," Sharpton said. "Beyonce put a beautiful message up on Instagram. Let me tell you, that before a lot of you were down, Jay Z always supported us."
"Jay Z told me, 'I'm a father. Beyonce is a mother.' We all feel the pain and apprehension -- the laws must protect everybody, or it doesn't protect anybody," Sharpton continued. "We do not come from hate, we come from love of children."
In the Instagram post Sharpton was referring to, Beyonce wrote "#justicefortrayvon" and posted a black photo a week ago. During her July 13 concert, which started shortly after the sentence was reached, she also asked the crowd to participate in a moment of silence for Martin before singing "I Will Always Love You" and "Halo."
At Jay Z's sold-out with Justin Timberlake on July 19 at Yankee Stadium, the duo dedicated their final song, a rendition of "Forever Young" in honor of Martin. "This is for Trayvon, so light up your cell phones New York!," Jay Z yelled, with the "Mirrors" singer adding, "One more time for Trayvon, New York!"
In a newly posted picture from the rally, the mom to Blue Ivy, 18 months, posted a picture of four hands wearing bracelets for Martin, simply captioning the Instagram picture, "#ActNow4Trayvon."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite