Beyonce, Jay Z attend Trayvon Martin rally in New York City
- Photo: Rachel Noerdlinger/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Mary Altaffer/Invision/AP2 of 11
- Photo: AG8/JLF/ZOJ/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/GettyImages.com4 of 11
- Photo: Anthony J. Causi/Splash News5 of 11
- Photo: Fame Flynet6 of 11
- Photo: Patrick McMullan/.7 of 11
- Photo: CMG/ZOJ/WENN8 of 11
- Photo: iam.beyonce.com/.9 of 11
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA10 of 11
More Celeb News
- ZEFR Acquires Social Influencer Startup EngodoMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 4:44:00 PM
- 'Dallas' Finale Ratings: Ewing Cliffhanger Closes to Below-Average Total ViewersMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 4:33:00 PM
- Daytime Talk Ratings: 'Dr. Phil' Tops Premiere Week; 'The Meredith VieiraMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 4:14:00 PM
- Fox News Channel Rockets to Decisive Ratings Victory During US Airstrikes on ISISMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 3:13:00 PM
- 'Big Bang Theory' Star Simon Helberg's Directorial Debut Acquired by OrioMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 3:00:00 PM
- ZEFR Acquires Social Influencer Startup Engodo
A day after Jay Z and Justin Timberlake dedicated the song "Forever Young" to slain teen Trayvon Martin at their Friday night concert at Yankee Stadium, the rapper and his wife, Beyonce, attended a rally to fight for justice in the teen's honor in New York City on Saturday.
The rally, which was also attended by Rev. Al Sharpton, community leaders, and members of public, was organized in wake of the highly-publicized trial and sentence involving Martin.
(During a February altercation, George Zimmerman, 29, a neighborhood watch volunteer, claimed he shot Martin in self-defense after the youth, who was unarmed, knocked him to the ground, punched him, and slammed his head against the sidewalk. The fatal shooting sparked a heated debate about racial profiling around the country after Zimmerman was found not guilty of second-degree murder and was acquitted of manslaughter during the July 13 sentencing.)
At the rally, the "Girls (Run the World)" singer, 31, and her hubby, 43, kept a low profile, but posed with Sharpton and Martin's mother, Sybrina Fulton at one point during the day.
According to Huffington Post, 58-year-old Sharpton, a civil rights activist, recognized that the star couple were in attendance during his speech.
"Jay Z and Beyonce said they didn't want to speak and they didn't come for a photo op," Sharpton said. "Beyonce put a beautiful message up on Instagram. Let me tell you, that before a lot of you were down, Jay Z always supported us."
"Jay Z told me, 'I'm a father. Beyonce is a mother.' We all feel the pain and apprehension -- the laws must protect everybody, or it doesn't protect anybody," Sharpton continued. "We do not come from hate, we come from love of children."
In the Instagram post Sharpton was referring to, Beyonce wrote "#justicefortrayvon" and posted a black photo a week ago. During her July 13 concert, which started shortly after the sentence was reached, she also asked the crowd to participate in a moment of silence for Martin before singing "I Will Always Love You" and "Halo."
At Jay Z's sold-out with Justin Timberlake on July 19 at Yankee Stadium, the duo dedicated their final song, a rendition of "Forever Young" in honor of Martin. "This is for Trayvon, so light up your cell phones New York!," Jay Z yelled, with the "Mirrors" singer adding, "One more time for Trayvon, New York!"
In a newly posted picture from the rally, the mom to Blue Ivy, 18 months, posted a picture of four hands wearing bracelets for Martin, simply captioning the Instagram picture, "#ActNow4Trayvon."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
See how Kate Hudson embraces Instagram on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTInspiring Hubby!
From Crowd Ignite