Justin Bieber Paternity Case Withdrawn; DNA Test Still On
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com1 of 16
- Photo: A-way!/Splash News2 of 16
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Olga Bermejo/Splash News4 of 16
- Photo: WENN/Invision/AP5 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 16
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/StarTraks7 of 16
- Photo: Twitter/.8 of 16
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: Michael Probst/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Michael Probst/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: VPA/PacificCoastNews.com12 of 16
- Photo: Patrick Hoffmann/WENN13 of 16
- Photo: Orchon/Retna Digital14 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 9 Burning Fall Movie Questions: Will 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' be Blessed? Who WillMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 7:02:00 AM
- 'Halt and Catch Fire' RenewedMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 7:02:00 AM
- James Foley's Mother: 'We Have Never Been Prouder of Our Son'MSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 6:59:00 AM
- German retailer opening US flagship in CincinnatiMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 6:35:21 AM
- Seth Meyers prizes his new role as Emmycast hostMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 6:23:29 AM
- 9 Burning Fall Movie Questions: Will 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' be Blessed? Who Will
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- An attorney for a woman who claims Justin Bieber is the father of her baby boy said Wednesday that her lawsuit has been withdrawn as both camps wait for the singer to take a paternity test.
Chicago-based lawyer Jeffrey Leving told The Associated Press that the suit filed in San Diego Superior Court by Mariah Yeater, 20, was recently removed without prejudice. However, the lawsuit could be refiled at a later date. A hearing set for Dec. 15 has been canceled.
"This case was never dismissed. It can be refiled today or tomorrow," Leving said. "We are trying to settle this matter out of court with Bieber's camp."
Yeater claims she had just turned 19 when she and Bieber, then 16, had a brief sexual encounter after one of the singer's concerts last fall in a backstage backroom at Los Angeles' Staples Center.
Bieber has said he's never met Yeater and has denied allegations that he fathered Yeater's son who was born in July.
Matthew Hiltzik, a spokesman for the teen heartthrob, said Bieber still intends to submit to a paternity test in the coming weeks.
"As we've said from the beginning, it's sad that someone would fabricate such a malicious, defamatory, and demonstrably false claim," Hiltzik said. "We'll continue to consider all of our options to protect Justin."
Yeater has not come forward with any evidence to prove Bieber is the father, but her attorneys insist the paternity test will prove he has a son.
Leving said the media storm that has ensued combined with death threats made to Yeater were the main reasons why the lawsuit was withdrawn.
"I will state right now it's better that it's handled out of court which is in the best interests of everybody," Leving said.
Yeater had to change her cellphone number because of threats made upon her, and she was recently harassed by someone who videotaped her as she was walking in a park with her son, Leving said. A private detective has been hired to investigate the threats, but Leving declined to comment on whether Yeater has reached out to police.
Leving believes both camps will sign a confidentiality agreement that will keep the paternity results private, but he realizes that scenario may not be possible.
"Hopefully the case can come to a safe and healthy conclusion," Leving said.
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTMemorable Looks
From Crowd Ignite