Justin Bieber Paternity Case Withdrawn; DNA Test Still On
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com1 of 16
- Photo: A-way!/Splash News2 of 16
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Olga Bermejo/Splash News4 of 16
- Photo: WENN/Invision/AP5 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 16
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/StarTraks7 of 16
- Photo: Twitter/.8 of 16
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: Michael Probst/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Michael Probst/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: VPA/PacificCoastNews.com12 of 16
- Photo: Patrick Hoffmann/WENN13 of 16
- Photo: Orchon/Retna Digital14 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Sundance Premieres Include Roger Ebert, Whitey Bulger Documentaries, 'The Raid 2MSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 1:00:01 PM
- Don't Worry Christian Bale, You're in Good Box-Office Bomb CompanyMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 12:59:53 PM
- 'Wolf of Wall Street,' 'American Hustle,' 'Gravity&MSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 12:00:54 PM
- Legendary Acquires 'The Kennedys' Producer Asylum Entertainment (Corrected)MSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 11:56:40 AM
- Showtime's 'Californication' Returns for 7th and Final Season in AprilMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 11:21:21 AM
- Sundance Premieres Include Roger Ebert, Whitey Bulger Documentaries, 'The Raid 2
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- An attorney for a woman who claims Justin Bieber is the father of her baby boy said Wednesday that her lawsuit has been withdrawn as both camps wait for the singer to take a paternity test.
Chicago-based lawyer Jeffrey Leving told The Associated Press that the suit filed in San Diego Superior Court by Mariah Yeater, 20, was recently removed without prejudice. However, the lawsuit could be refiled at a later date. A hearing set for Dec. 15 has been canceled.
"This case was never dismissed. It can be refiled today or tomorrow," Leving said. "We are trying to settle this matter out of court with Bieber's camp."
Yeater claims she had just turned 19 when she and Bieber, then 16, had a brief sexual encounter after one of the singer's concerts last fall in a backstage backroom at Los Angeles' Staples Center.
Bieber has said he's never met Yeater and has denied allegations that he fathered Yeater's son who was born in July.
Matthew Hiltzik, a spokesman for the teen heartthrob, said Bieber still intends to submit to a paternity test in the coming weeks.
"As we've said from the beginning, it's sad that someone would fabricate such a malicious, defamatory, and demonstrably false claim," Hiltzik said. "We'll continue to consider all of our options to protect Justin."
Yeater has not come forward with any evidence to prove Bieber is the father, but her attorneys insist the paternity test will prove he has a son.
Leving said the media storm that has ensued combined with death threats made to Yeater were the main reasons why the lawsuit was withdrawn.
"I will state right now it's better that it's handled out of court which is in the best interests of everybody," Leving said.
Yeater had to change her cellphone number because of threats made upon her, and she was recently harassed by someone who videotaped her as she was walking in a park with her son, Leving said. A private detective has been hired to investigate the threats, but Leving declined to comment on whether Yeater has reached out to police.
Leving believes both camps will sign a confidentiality agreement that will keep the paternity results private, but he realizes that scenario may not be possible.
"Hopefully the case can come to a safe and healthy conclusion," Leving said.
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
Khloe Kardashian, Jennifer Hudson, and Christina Hendricks all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJust Like Mom
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite