Justin Bieber's mom: I hope I'm still a respected voice in his ear
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA1 of 13
- Photo: Henry Lamb/Photowire / BEImages/Rex USA2 of 13
- Photo: JE1/WENN3 of 13
- Photo: Big Australia/Fame Flynet4 of 13
- Photo: Thumbs42/FAMEFLYNET PICTURES/Fame Flynet5 of 13
- Photo: Invision/AP6 of 13
- Photo: Ethan Miller/Getty Images North America7 of 13
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 13
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/Invision/AP9 of 13
- Photo: @JustinBieber/Twitter10 of 13
- Photo: REX Features/.11 of 13
- Photo: Ethan Miller/Getty Images North America12 of 13
More Celeb News
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon BernthalMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:43:00 PM
- Nicole Holofcener to Write, Direct 'Land of Steady Habits' for Fox SearchlightMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:29:00 PM
- James Foley Death: Pentagon Reveals Mission to Rescue US Hostages in Syria FailedMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:03:00 PM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Review: Eva Green Steals This Juvenile Film NoirMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Legendary Digital's Zombie Movie 'Dead Rising' Lures 'LeprechaunMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 3:49:00 PM
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon Bernthal
NEW YORK (AP) -- Justin Bieber's mom, Pattie Mallette, has left out some of the rougher details of her early life for a new teen edition of her memoir, "Nowhere But Up, Teen Edition: The Story of Justin Bieber's Mom."
Out Tuesday from the inspirational publisher Revell, the book includes advice, statistics and hotline numbers for young people on depression, pregnancy, bullying and unwanted sexual advances.
Mallette, who gave birth to Bieber at age 18, faced all of those problems, and more, growing up in Canada. She now lives in Los Angeles, and recently shared her story with young people in the Watts projects, hoping her struggles and turn to Christianity can offer hope.
"There was this one young man. He was probably late teens, early 20s. He said, 'You know, who knew that your story could relate so much with me and that I would have so many similarities with the things that you went through,'" Mallette recalled in a telephone interview from Los Angeles. "I mean, his sister's been shot, but he's been through so many similar emotions and so many similar circumstances."
For Mallette, those circumstances began with the painful divorce of her parents when she was 2. Sex abuse at the hands of a series of tormenters began at 3. She was left with a feeling of worthlessness that led her to drinking, drugging and a suicide attempt by age 17.
"A lot of teenagers are feeling really discouraged at their circumstances," said Mallette, whose memoir, co-written with A.J. Gregory, came out last year.
And what of her own son? Mallette was tightlipped about Bieber's lower moments of late.
There have been reports of speeding in his Calabasas, Calif., neighborhood, run-ins with paparazzi, boos at the Billboard Awards and a pet monkey relinquished in Germany.
While she talks to her son regularly, Mallette said Wednesday he prefers she not speak publicly about recent controversies.
"He wants me to continue to respect his boundaries and my relationship with him," Mallette said. "Everybody has their own opinion, and everybody wants to sensationalize everything."
RELATED: Best and worst beach bods
Parenting a teen isn't easy for anybody, let alone a pop star with millions of dedicated fans and followers on Twitter and Instagram.
"You have to sort of let them make some of their own decisions," she said. "Me, personally, I would love to be with him all the time and to be able to ground him and deal with his problems and do all of that stuff, but at some point the parenting style changes. I hope to still be a respected voice in his ear."
Get out the vote
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite