Big Sean hands out school supplies at back-to-school fair
- Photo: JVB/ZOJ/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: AR4/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage3 of 9
- Photo: Xavier Collin / Retna Ltd./Wonderwall4 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/Invision/AP5 of 9
- Photo: Matt Baron / BEImages/Rex USA6 of 9
- Photo: DS7/WENN7 of 9
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Anne Sweeney Exits Disney: TheWrap Picks Potential ReplacementsMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 2:05:00 PM
- Lena Dunham Says She May Quit Acting After Girls EndsMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 2:02:00 PM
- Game of Thrones Star Kristian Nairn Comes Out as GayMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 2:01:00 PM
- What Happened When the Cameras Went Off? Bachelor's Chris Harrison Spills on the Tense FinaMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 1:47:00 PM
- Jon Klein on His New Online Venture: 'We've Created the Company That I Feared WoulMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Anne Sweeney Exits Disney: TheWrap Picks Potential Replacements
Big Sean returned to his native Detroit to hand out backpacks to schoolchildren on Thursday, Aug. 29.
The rapper, whose real name is Sean Anderson, was in the city to promote his new album "Hall of Fame," and took time out to help with a back-to-school fair organized by the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan.
RELATED: Mark Wahlberg's best shirtless looks
He says, "DPS [Detroit Public Schools] needs this more than anybody. Hopefully this is just the first of many events we can do to... help give back.
"I wanted to make sure that when I looked back at my life I did something that I was proud of, that I left a legacy. Of course I make a lot of fun music, all sorts of songs, but I'm definitely going to make songs to inspire, to do my part for the community, especially for the kids in Detroit."
RELATED: Most expensive weddings
The rapper has also recently launched the Sean Anderson Foundation to benefit young people in Detroit.
He continues, "My message [to kids] is just to stay focused on what your goals are and do as well as you can. And focus on what you're great at and harness that talent.
RELATED: 2013's biggest breakups so far
"There are so many opportunities out here... I hope these kids, these young minds, take advantage of that and make it happen. They can be way better than a rapper, they can be way more successful."
Students who attended the fair received a bag full of school supplies.
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of Duchess Kate's most budget-friendly fashion items.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite