Big Sean hands out school supplies at back-to-school fair
- Photo: JVB/ZOJ/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: AR4/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage3 of 9
- Photo: Xavier Collin / Retna Ltd./Wonderwall4 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/Invision/AP5 of 9
- Photo: Matt Baron / BEImages/Rex USA6 of 9
- Photo: DS7/WENN7 of 9
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage8 of 9
More Celeb News
- NBC Renews UndateableMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 5:54:00 AM
- Pamela Anderson wants Faeroes to stop whale driveMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 5:34:53 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 8:25 a.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 5:25:28 AM
- Sundance Film Festival Expands to Hong KongMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:12:00 PM
- 'Undateable' Gets Second Season From NBCMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 9:18:00 PM
- NBC Renews Undateable
Big Sean returned to his native Detroit to hand out backpacks to schoolchildren on Thursday, Aug. 29.
The rapper, whose real name is Sean Anderson, was in the city to promote his new album "Hall of Fame," and took time out to help with a back-to-school fair organized by the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan.
RELATED: Mark Wahlberg's best shirtless looks
He says, "DPS [Detroit Public Schools] needs this more than anybody. Hopefully this is just the first of many events we can do to... help give back.
"I wanted to make sure that when I looked back at my life I did something that I was proud of, that I left a legacy. Of course I make a lot of fun music, all sorts of songs, but I'm definitely going to make songs to inspire, to do my part for the community, especially for the kids in Detroit."
RELATED: Most expensive weddings
The rapper has also recently launched the Sean Anderson Foundation to benefit young people in Detroit.
He continues, "My message [to kids] is just to stay focused on what your goals are and do as well as you can. And focus on what you're great at and harness that talent.
RELATED: 2013's biggest breakups so far
"There are so many opportunities out here... I hope these kids, these young minds, take advantage of that and make it happen. They can be way better than a rapper, they can be way more successful."
Students who attended the fair received a bag full of school supplies.
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Sexy Marky Mark
Take a look back at Mark Wahlberg's best shirtless looks over the yearsWatch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTDebuts Baby Bump!
From Crowd Ignite