Big Sean hands out school supplies at back-to-school fair
- Photo: JVB/ZOJ/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: AR4/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage3 of 9
- Photo: Xavier Collin / Retna Ltd./Wonderwall4 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/Invision/AP5 of 9
- Photo: Matt Baron / BEImages/Rex USA6 of 9
- Photo: DS7/WENN7 of 9
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Nickelodeon Picks Up Three Comedy Series, Announces New Kids' Choice Sports AwardsMSNEntertainment 3/13/2014 9:54:00 AM
- Anne Sweeney's Move to Directing: A Top TV Director on Her Odds of SuccessMSNEntertainment 3/13/2014 9:40:00 AM
- Adam Kanter, Martin Spencer Join Paradigm; Clients to Follow From ResolutionMSNEntertainment 3/13/2014 9:30:00 AM
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Season 2 First Look: Taylor Schilling Gets Bloody, PrisoMSNEntertainment 3/13/2014 9:00:00 AM
- Ratings: Fox Edges Out CBS, Finishes First in Key DemoMSNEntertainment 3/13/2014 8:55:00 AM
- Nickelodeon Picks Up Three Comedy Series, Announces New Kids' Choice Sports Awards
Big Sean returned to his native Detroit to hand out backpacks to schoolchildren on Thursday, Aug. 29.
The rapper, whose real name is Sean Anderson, was in the city to promote his new album "Hall of Fame," and took time out to help with a back-to-school fair organized by the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan.
RELATED: Mark Wahlberg's best shirtless looks
He says, "DPS [Detroit Public Schools] needs this more than anybody. Hopefully this is just the first of many events we can do to... help give back.
"I wanted to make sure that when I looked back at my life I did something that I was proud of, that I left a legacy. Of course I make a lot of fun music, all sorts of songs, but I'm definitely going to make songs to inspire, to do my part for the community, especially for the kids in Detroit."
RELATED: Most expensive weddings
The rapper has also recently launched the Sean Anderson Foundation to benefit young people in Detroit.
He continues, "My message [to kids] is just to stay focused on what your goals are and do as well as you can. And focus on what you're great at and harness that talent.
RELATED: 2013's biggest breakups so far
"There are so many opportunities out here... I hope these kids, these young minds, take advantage of that and make it happen. They can be way better than a rapper, they can be way more successful."
Students who attended the fair received a bag full of school supplies.
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian and Kanye West to Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher, check out the cutest celeb PDA.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite