Big Sean hands out school supplies at back-to-school fair
- Photo: JVB/ZOJ/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: AR4/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage3 of 9
- Photo: Xavier Collin / Retna Ltd./Wonderwall4 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/Invision/AP5 of 9
- Photo: Matt Baron / BEImages/Rex USA6 of 9
- Photo: DS7/WENN7 of 9
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage8 of 9
More Celeb News
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 8:27 a.m. ESTMSNEntertainment 12/13/2013 3:53:18 AM
- 'Lilyhammer' Star Steven Van Zandt on His Place in TV History, Mandela and (PossibMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 3:18:15 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: 'Porcelain Horse' Writer-Director on the 'ExpecMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:39 PM
- Award-Winning Producers to Finance Documentary About Forgotten Film Legend (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:13 PM
- Obama Nominates Sony's Tom Rothman to National Council on the ArtsMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:47:27 PM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 8:27 a.m. EST
Big Sean returned to his native Detroit to hand out backpacks to schoolchildren on Thursday, Aug. 29.
The rapper, whose real name is Sean Anderson, was in the city to promote his new album "Hall of Fame," and took time out to help with a back-to-school fair organized by the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan.
RELATED: Mark Wahlberg's best shirtless looks
He says, "DPS [Detroit Public Schools] needs this more than anybody. Hopefully this is just the first of many events we can do to... help give back.
"I wanted to make sure that when I looked back at my life I did something that I was proud of, that I left a legacy. Of course I make a lot of fun music, all sorts of songs, but I'm definitely going to make songs to inspire, to do my part for the community, especially for the kids in Detroit."
RELATED: Most expensive weddings
The rapper has also recently launched the Sean Anderson Foundation to benefit young people in Detroit.
He continues, "My message [to kids] is just to stay focused on what your goals are and do as well as you can. And focus on what you're great at and harness that talent.
RELATED: 2013's biggest breakups so far
"There are so many opportunities out here... I hope these kids, these young minds, take advantage of that and make it happen. They can be way better than a rapper, they can be way more successful."
Students who attended the fair received a bag full of school supplies.
Kristen Stewart, Paula Abdul, and Kim Kardashian all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
"Shah's of Sunset" star Asa Soltan talks about this season's drama, possible wedding bells with her boyfriend and more.Watch Video »
Find out why Lena Dunham, Jaden Smith, and Rihanna need fashion resolutions for 2014.Watch Video »
Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel talks to WW about wearing the $10 million bra, eating steak, Taylor Swift and if she plans to marry her boyfriend.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde to Mario Lopez, see which stars have the hottest beach bods of 2013.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGlobe Noms
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite