Brandy: I Had an Eating Disorder as a Teen
- Photo: Tony DiMaio/StarTraks1 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Maury Phillips/WireImage.com3 of 11
- Photo: Mirek Towski/DMI/Time Life Pictures/GettyImages.com4 of 11
- Photo: Enrique RC/PacificCoastNews.com5 of 11
- Photo: J.Eddy/WENN6 of 11
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN7 of 11
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN8 of 11
- Photo: Ouzounova/Splash News9 of 11
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN10 of 11
More Celeb News
- NBC to Air Blake Shelton's Tornado Relief Concert Next Week MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 12:15:52 PM
- Mariah Carey Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction During 'Good Morning America' AppearanceMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 12:09:41 PM
- UTA Seeks to Sell Stake to Private Equity, Following WME, CAA MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 12:06:01 PM
- Cannes: French Comedy 'Me Myself and Mum' Tops Directors' FortnightMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 11:29:11 AM
- 'Katie' Gets Latest in Series of Executive ProducersMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 11:03:01 AM
- NBC to Air Blake Shelton's Tornado Relief Concert Next Week
She was one of the most successful teen stars of the '90s, but Brandy was harboring a dark secret: She was suffering from an eating disorder.
"I wanted to be so thin. That was my main thing," the singer and actress, now 33, reveals during "VH1's Behind the Music" (airing Wednesday at 9 p.m. EST). "So I started not taking care of myself -- not eating properly, not eating at all, diet pills, regurgitating and all of these things that girls do."
Though she had multiple No. 1 singles and starred on the UPN hit "Moesha," Brandy never felt worthy enough.
"People don't understand that being the hottest star or making the most money does not mean anything," she explains. "I'm here to tell you I was making so much money -- I was omnipresent -- and I was the unhappiest teenager probably in the world."
The star's good friend Shay Calhoun adds, "On the outside everybody saw this amazing person who had everything, but that's not what she saw when she looked in the mirror. She felt she was never as good as everyone else thought that she was."
In her "Behind the Music" special, Brandy also reveals how she was heartbroken after splitting with Boyz II Men's Wanya Morris in the spring of 1997. "He fell in love with someone else. The worst feeling is to be in love all by yourself. That feels f----- up, honestly. It just really does. And that's the only way I can really put it," she says. "It felt like somebody had just completely taken my heart out of my body and just crushed it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Gwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite