Brandy: I Had an Eating Disorder as a Teen
- Photo: Tony DiMaio/StarTraks1 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Maury Phillips/WireImage.com3 of 11
- Photo: Mirek Towski/DMI/Time Life Pictures/GettyImages.com4 of 11
- Photo: Enrique RC/PacificCoastNews.com5 of 11
- Photo: J.Eddy/WENN6 of 11
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN7 of 11
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN8 of 11
- Photo: Ouzounova/Splash News9 of 11
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN10 of 11
More Celeb News
- An 86-year-old Utah woman writes romance novelMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:50:09 AM
- Jackie Chan expressed shame over son's drug arrestMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:42:39 AM
- Turner Plans Organizational Restructuring in Next Two MonthsMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 9:03:00 PM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Premiere to Feature Live 3D Red Carpet BroadcastMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 8:40:00 PM
- NFL's Super Bowl Halftime Show to Katy Perry, Rihanna and Coldplay: Show Me the Money!MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 7:25:00 PM
- An 86-year-old Utah woman writes romance novel
She was one of the most successful teen stars of the '90s, but Brandy was harboring a dark secret: She was suffering from an eating disorder.
"I wanted to be so thin. That was my main thing," the singer and actress, now 33, reveals during "VH1's Behind the Music" (airing Wednesday at 9 p.m. EST). "So I started not taking care of myself -- not eating properly, not eating at all, diet pills, regurgitating and all of these things that girls do."
Though she had multiple No. 1 singles and starred on the UPN hit "Moesha," Brandy never felt worthy enough.
"People don't understand that being the hottest star or making the most money does not mean anything," she explains. "I'm here to tell you I was making so much money -- I was omnipresent -- and I was the unhappiest teenager probably in the world."
The star's good friend Shay Calhoun adds, "On the outside everybody saw this amazing person who had everything, but that's not what she saw when she looked in the mirror. She felt she was never as good as everyone else thought that she was."
In her "Behind the Music" special, Brandy also reveals how she was heartbroken after splitting with Boyz II Men's Wanya Morris in the spring of 1997. "He fell in love with someone else. The worst feeling is to be in love all by yourself. That feels f----- up, honestly. It just really does. And that's the only way I can really put it," she says. "It felt like somebody had just completely taken my heart out of my body and just crushed it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite