Brandy: I Had an Eating Disorder as a Teen
- Photo: Tony DiMaio/StarTraks1 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Maury Phillips/WireImage.com3 of 11
- Photo: Mirek Towski/DMI/Time Life Pictures/GettyImages.com4 of 11
- Photo: Enrique RC/PacificCoastNews.com5 of 11
- Photo: J.Eddy/WENN6 of 11
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN7 of 11
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN8 of 11
- Photo: Ouzounova/Splash News9 of 11
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN10 of 11
More Celeb News
- New Lego Movie Hits Tribeca But This One's a DocumentaryMSNEntertainment 4/20/2014 6:07:00 AM
- Tribeca Docs on Government Spying: 'What Was Illegal Under Nixon Is Legal Under Obama&aMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 9:25:00 PM
- Cloning Around: Orphan Black Resurrects the (Presumed) DeadMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 7:00:00 PM
- High School Student Suspended For Having the Balls to Ask Miss America to PromMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus Postpones Bangerz Tour After Allergic Reaction to AntibioticsMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 3:13:00 PM
- New Lego Movie Hits Tribeca But This One's a Documentary
She was one of the most successful teen stars of the '90s, but Brandy was harboring a dark secret: She was suffering from an eating disorder.
"I wanted to be so thin. That was my main thing," the singer and actress, now 33, reveals during "VH1's Behind the Music" (airing Wednesday at 9 p.m. EST). "So I started not taking care of myself -- not eating properly, not eating at all, diet pills, regurgitating and all of these things that girls do."
Though she had multiple No. 1 singles and starred on the UPN hit "Moesha," Brandy never felt worthy enough.
"People don't understand that being the hottest star or making the most money does not mean anything," she explains. "I'm here to tell you I was making so much money -- I was omnipresent -- and I was the unhappiest teenager probably in the world."
The star's good friend Shay Calhoun adds, "On the outside everybody saw this amazing person who had everything, but that's not what she saw when she looked in the mirror. She felt she was never as good as everyone else thought that she was."
In her "Behind the Music" special, Brandy also reveals how she was heartbroken after splitting with Boyz II Men's Wanya Morris in the spring of 1997. "He fell in love with someone else. The worst feeling is to be in love all by yourself. That feels f----- up, honestly. It just really does. And that's the only way I can really put it," she says. "It felt like somebody had just completely taken my heart out of my body and just crushed it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the engagement scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's 2014 Royal Tour on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
The Kind Mama
The actress and New York Times best-selling author talks to WW's Chris Gardner about her new book, "The Kind Mama," having more kids, and a "Clueless" sequel...Watch Video »
Get the scoop inside Porsha Williams and Kenya Moore's fight and much more on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the details inside Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin's shocking split on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite