Bruno Mars cleared in Las Vegas cocaine possession case
- Photo: Angela Weiss/WireImage1 of 18
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com2 of 18
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP3 of 18
- Photo: Ron Smits/London Ent/Splash News/Splash News4 of 18
- Photo: Frazer Harrison/GettyImages.com5 of 18
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com6 of 18
- Photo: JE1/WENN7 of 18
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com8 of 18
- Photo: Michael Buckner/GettyImages.com9 of 18
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com10 of 18
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin11 of 18
- Photo: Greg Tidwell/PacificCoastNews.com12 of 18
- Photo: Dave/Splash News13 of 18
- Photo: LVMPD/Invision/AP14 of 18
- Photo: Jeff Christensen/Invision/AP15 of 18
- Photo: Kristen Noseda/WENN16 of 18
- Photo: Josiah True/WENN17 of 18
More Celeb News
- Robin Williams 'Tried to Say Goodbye' During Our Last Phone Call, Says Billy ConnoMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 8:43:00 AM
- 'Forever' Review: There's Nothing Eternal About This ABC DudMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 7:58:00 AM
- Exclusive: Charlie Sheen Pursues a Return to Two and a Half MenMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 7:52:00 AM
- New Season Reviews: Gotham, Scorpion, Forever, Sleepy HollowMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 7:47:00 AM
- As the Fall Season Begins, Will 4 Remain TV's Magic Number? MSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 7:46:00 AM
- Robin Williams 'Tried to Say Goodbye' During Our Last Phone Call, Says Billy Conno
LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Pop star Bruno Mars was cleared of a felony cocaine possession case in Nevada on Wednesday, after his attorneys told a state court judge the Grammy-winning pop star stayed out of trouble and met other conditions of a plea deal reached almost a year ago.
Clark County District Court Judge Jessie Walsh dismissed the case against the 26-year-old singer-songwriter of hits including "Just the Way You Are" and "It Will Rain."
Mars, whose real name is Peter Gene Hernandez, didn't appear in person for the brief hearing in Las Vegas.
He pleaded guilty last Feb. 16 to cocaine possession, but the judge postponed accepting the plea. She gave Mars probation, fined him $2,000 and ordered him to perform 200 hours of community service and eight hours of drug counseling.
RELATED: 2012 People's Choice Awards Winners
Mars acknowledged having 2.6 grams of cocaine when he was arrested in a bathroom in September 2010 after a nightclub performance at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.
His attorneys, Blair Berk and David Chesnoff, said Mars has abided by the requirements. He could have faced up to four years in state prison.
Mars worked with unspecified children's charities and health-related organizations to complete his community service, Berk said Tuesday. She has said the singer appreciated the chance he got as a first-time offender to have the felony charge dismissed.
The former child entertainer from Hawaii began his career at age 4 as an Elvis impersonator. He moved to Los Angeles in 2002.
RELATED: Fantasy Casting: 'West Side Story'
Get out the vote
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite