Buju Banton asks judge to reconsider drug sentence
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN1 of 5
- Photo: Johnny Louis/WENN2 of 5
- Photo: Yesikka Vivancos/Invision/AP3 of 5
- Photo: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage4 of 5
More Celeb News
- Exclusive: Showtime to Launch Ray Donovan WebisodesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 7:00:00 AM
- The Following's Warren Kole Joins StalkerMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:58:00 AM
- Earnings: Discovery Beats Q2 EstimatesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:55:00 AM
- Iggy Azalea Has a Cameo in Fast & Furious 7MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:39:00 AM
- Time Warner Cable Q2 Earnings Rise, But Miss EstimatesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 6:33:00 AM
- Exclusive: Showtime to Launch Ray Donovan Webisodes
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Buju Banton's new attorney has asked a federal judge in Tampa to reconsider the 10-year prison sentence the Jamaican reggae singer is serving on two drug charges.
Banton, whose real name is Mark Myrie, is set to appear Tuesday in Tampa federal court for a re-sentencing on a gun possession charge. That charge carries an additional five-year prison sentence.
RELATED: Year in review: trouble with the law
The motion filed last week includes a letter to U.S. District Judge James Moody from Banton's former attorney, David O. Markus.
RELATED: Flavor Flav arrested in Las Vegas
Markus represented Banton in the singer's two trials in Tampa in 2010 and 2011. He says Banton is eligible for a reduced sentence of five years and a day because he's a first-time, non-violent offender with "the support of his entire country" and a history of charitable works.
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSad News
From Crowd Ignite