Case tossed against accused Selena Gomez stalker
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: VPA/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 16
- Photo: VPA/PacificCoastNews.com3 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: WireImage.com5 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com7 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com8 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com9 of 16
- Photo: SC2/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: SC2/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Eric McCandless/Disney Channel/Promotional12 of 16
- Photo: Eric McCandless/Disney Channel/Promotional13 of 16
- Photo: Craig Sjodin/Disney Channel/Promotional14 of 16
- Photo: DISNEY CHANNEL/CRAIG SJODIN/Promotional15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A judge on Wednesday dismissed a criminal case against a man charged with stalking Selena Gomez, saying he did not believe prosecutors had shown that he intended to cause the actress and singer to be afraid.
The dismissal will free Thomas Broadnicki, 46, who was charged earlier this month with stalking Gomez between July and October.
RELATED: Celebrities and Their Stalkers
The starlet was not present for Wednesday's preliminary hearing during which a prosecutor attempted to show there was probable cause for Brodnicki to stand trial.
Brodnicki has a history of mental illness and was being held on $150,000 bail after his arrest on Oct. 31. Mental health workers had notified authorities that he had threatened to kill the starlet while on a psychiatric hold.
"We strenuously objected" to the dismissal, district attorney's spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said. She said Superior Court Judge Edmund Willcox Clarke Jr. ruled Brodnicki "did not have the intent to cause fear."
RELATED: Gomez's Puppy Dodges Doggy Surgery
Gibbons said the office is evaluating its options, which could include re-filing the case at a later date.
A civil restraining order requiring Brodnicki to stay 100 yards away from Gomez remains in place. A hearing is scheduled for Nov. 23 to determine whether the stay-away order will remain in place for the next three years.
Gomez, 19, wrote in a sworn declaration that she is in "extreme fear" of Brodnicki.
Brodnicki was represented by Deputy Public Defender Nick Stewart-Oaten, who did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite