Case tossed against accused Selena Gomez stalker
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: VPA/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 16
- Photo: VPA/PacificCoastNews.com3 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: WireImage.com5 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com7 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com8 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com9 of 16
- Photo: SC2/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: SC2/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Eric McCandless/Disney Channel/Promotional12 of 16
- Photo: Eric McCandless/Disney Channel/Promotional13 of 16
- Photo: Craig Sjodin/Disney Channel/Promotional14 of 16
- Photo: DISNEY CHANNEL/CRAIG SJODIN/Promotional15 of 16
More Celeb News
- New Lego Movie Hits Tribeca But This One's a DocumentaryMSNEntertainment 4/20/2014 6:07:00 AM
- Tribeca Docs on Government Spying: 'What Was Illegal Under Nixon Is Legal Under Obama&aMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 9:25:00 PM
- Cloning Around: Orphan Black Resurrects the (Presumed) DeadMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 7:00:00 PM
- High School Student Suspended For Having the Balls to Ask Miss America to PromMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus Postpones Bangerz Tour After Allergic Reaction to AntibioticsMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 3:13:00 PM
- New Lego Movie Hits Tribeca But This One's a Documentary
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A judge on Wednesday dismissed a criminal case against a man charged with stalking Selena Gomez, saying he did not believe prosecutors had shown that he intended to cause the actress and singer to be afraid.
The dismissal will free Thomas Broadnicki, 46, who was charged earlier this month with stalking Gomez between July and October.
RELATED: Celebrities and Their Stalkers
The starlet was not present for Wednesday's preliminary hearing during which a prosecutor attempted to show there was probable cause for Brodnicki to stand trial.
Brodnicki has a history of mental illness and was being held on $150,000 bail after his arrest on Oct. 31. Mental health workers had notified authorities that he had threatened to kill the starlet while on a psychiatric hold.
"We strenuously objected" to the dismissal, district attorney's spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said. She said Superior Court Judge Edmund Willcox Clarke Jr. ruled Brodnicki "did not have the intent to cause fear."
RELATED: Gomez's Puppy Dodges Doggy Surgery
Gibbons said the office is evaluating its options, which could include re-filing the case at a later date.
A civil restraining order requiring Brodnicki to stay 100 yards away from Gomez remains in place. A hearing is scheduled for Nov. 23 to determine whether the stay-away order will remain in place for the next three years.
Gomez, 19, wrote in a sworn declaration that she is in "extreme fear" of Brodnicki.
Brodnicki was represented by Deputy Public Defender Nick Stewart-Oaten, who did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.
Get the engagement scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's 2014 Royal Tour on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
The Kind Mama
The actress and New York Times best-selling author talks to WW's Chris Gardner about her new book, "The Kind Mama," having more kids, and a "Clueless" sequel...Watch Video »
Get the scoop inside Porsha Williams and Kenya Moore's fight and much more on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the details inside Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin's shocking split on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite