Case tossed against accused Selena Gomez stalker
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: VPA/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 16
- Photo: VPA/PacificCoastNews.com3 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: WireImage.com5 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com7 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com8 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com9 of 16
- Photo: SC2/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: SC2/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Eric McCandless/Disney Channel/Promotional12 of 16
- Photo: Eric McCandless/Disney Channel/Promotional13 of 16
- Photo: Craig Sjodin/Disney Channel/Promotional14 of 16
- Photo: DISNEY CHANNEL/CRAIG SJODIN/Promotional15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years LateMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- 8 Crazy Things to Expect on Sleepy Hollow Season 2MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Emmy Winner and Singer Polly Bergen Dies at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Kim Kardashian Among the Latest Targeted in Nude Photo LeakMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- U2 guitarist gets boost in bid for Malibu mansionsMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 2:26:14 PM
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years Late
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A judge on Wednesday dismissed a criminal case against a man charged with stalking Selena Gomez, saying he did not believe prosecutors had shown that he intended to cause the actress and singer to be afraid.
The dismissal will free Thomas Broadnicki, 46, who was charged earlier this month with stalking Gomez between July and October.
RELATED: Celebrities and Their Stalkers
The starlet was not present for Wednesday's preliminary hearing during which a prosecutor attempted to show there was probable cause for Brodnicki to stand trial.
Brodnicki has a history of mental illness and was being held on $150,000 bail after his arrest on Oct. 31. Mental health workers had notified authorities that he had threatened to kill the starlet while on a psychiatric hold.
"We strenuously objected" to the dismissal, district attorney's spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said. She said Superior Court Judge Edmund Willcox Clarke Jr. ruled Brodnicki "did not have the intent to cause fear."
RELATED: Gomez's Puppy Dodges Doggy Surgery
Gibbons said the office is evaluating its options, which could include re-filing the case at a later date.
A civil restraining order requiring Brodnicki to stay 100 yards away from Gomez remains in place. A hearing is scheduled for Nov. 23 to determine whether the stay-away order will remain in place for the next three years.
Gomez, 19, wrote in a sworn declaration that she is in "extreme fear" of Brodnicki.
Brodnicki was represented by Deputy Public Defender Nick Stewart-Oaten, who did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBirthday Fun
From Crowd Ignite