Charge won't be pursued against Taylor Swift trespasser
- Photo: Lia Toby/WENN1 of 12
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage2 of 12
- Photo: JD3/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: rCrisko / StarlitePics/Retna Digital4 of 12
- Photo: Beiny/Slater//WENN5 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage6 of 12
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP7 of 12
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 12
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage9 of 12
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP10 of 12
- Photo: Rex USA11 of 12
More Celeb News
- High School Student Suspended For Having the Balls to Ask Miss America to PromMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus Postpones Bangerz Tour After Allergic Reaction to AntibioticsMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 3:13:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus Postpones Remaining U.S. Tour Dates After HospitalizationMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 2:52:00 PM
- White House Responds to Justin Bieber Deportation PetitionMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 2:41:00 PM
- White House Responds to 'Deport Justin Bieber' Petition: Is This the End for Our FMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 1:49:00 PM
- High School Student Suspended For Having the Balls to Ask Miss America to Prom
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Prosecutors on Thursday declined to pursue a criminal trespassing charge against a Wisconsin man arrested earlier this month for climbing a fence at a Nashville home linked to country star Taylor Swift.
RELATED: Vote on Taylor Swift's ensemble
Jacob Kulke, of Marshfield, Wis., will remain in jail in Nashville as he fights extradition to Colorado for probation violation. Kulke did not appear in court during his Thursday hearing. The 24-year-old Kulke was arrested Dec. 14 after climbing a fence and a gate at a home in Belle Meade that has been publicly linked to Swift.
The affidavit said Kulke claimed he was in contact with a person at the home through social media. He said he was dating her and it was her birthday and he wanted to surprise her. Swift was overseas at the time. Her spokeswoman has previously declined to comment on the case.
Sean McKinney, Kulke's attorney, said Thursday that prosecutors discussed the decision not to prosecute with representatives for Swift. He said that Kulke is not guilty of the trespassing charge and said that his client was tricked by someone into believing that he was communicating with the star. Kulke told police he rode a bus to Nashville from Wisconsin, and then took a taxi to the home.
"It is the defense's position that he was misled by someone else," McKinney said. "Mr. Kulke had reasonable belief that he was invited on to the premises."
McKinney said that prosecutors could still bring the charge back within the statutes of limitations, but no restrictions were placed on him by the prosecutors or Swift.
"He is still a big fan of Taylor Swift," McKinney said.
Assistant District Attorney Tali Rosenblum said that Kulke has already spent 13 days in jail and the trespassing charge is a misdemeanor that carries a maximum 30-day sentence. She said they wanted to resolve the charge in Tennessee so that authorities could extradite him to Colorado.
"Mr. Kulke is looking for his 15 minutes of fame, and he got all he deserved," Rosenblum said.
RELATED: Taylor Swift vs. country queens
Get the engagement scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's 2014 Royal Tour on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian, Emma Stone, and Solange Knowles all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Demi Moore's new year and new guy on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop inside Porsha Williams and Kenya Moore's fight and much more on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite