- Photo: Michael Buckner/courtesy Merceds-Benz/GettyImages.com1 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com2 of 7
- Photo: Greg Tidwell/Pacific Coast News3 of 7
- Photo: STUART RAMSON/AP4 of 7
- Photo: Splash News5 of 7
- Photo: Evan Agostini/AP6 of 7
More Celeb News
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Review: Bypasses Logic and Drives Straight to the PleasMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 9:58:01 AM
- Ratings: 'Rules of Engagement' Finale Down; 'Goodwin Games,' &amMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 9:27:40 AM
- MoviePass Temporarily Removes Wait List, in Advance of Busy Memorial Day WeekendMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 9:20:41 AM
- 'Behind the Candelabra' Review: Sex, Lies & the ClosetMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 9:04:22 AM
- VH1 Sets 'Gossip Table' For June 3MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 8:56:16 AM
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Review: Bypasses Logic and Drives Straight to the Pleas
By Dana Flax
Chris Brown has come out defending his fundraising efforts, insisting that they aren't just a ploy to garner public support.
Though he's no stranger to notoriety, the singer assured PopEater.com that his efforts in raising funds for Haitian earthquake victims and the community of Richmond, Va. are "not for PR or press."
RELATED: See more photos of Chris Brown
"When it's a question of, 'Oh, is he doing this to gain fans or get his image back?' it hurts," he said. "When you do something genuinely from your heart, it's not for PR or press. If that was the case, I'd try to get Obama or somebody."
Currently serving five years probation stemming from the 2009 assault of then-girlfriend Rihanna, Brown is planning a charity concert to support his hometown.
"It hurts because it's from my heart and I'm from Virginia and want to help my community out. I'm always here, and I always want to help out," he continued. "Even with the Haiti stuff I'm doing ... I wanted to do my own so that some of the proceeds would benefit them."
On May 15, Brown will host and headline a charity concert, "Virginia Stand Up! A Call to Action," featuring performances by Trey Songz, Keri Hilson, T-Pain, and others.
"I always wanted to do something in my community," he said when asked about the concert. "Richmond and Virginia isn't the wealthiest place, there's a lot of poverty and people struggling, so I always wanted to give back from my community."
RELATED: See more photos of Rihanna
Tell us in comments: Do you think Chris Brown's efforts are genuine, or instrumental in helping out a sagging image?
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite