Cissy Houston Speaks Out for First Time Since Whitney's Death
- Photo: © Larry Busacca/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: Photoshot/Retna Digital2 of 16
- Photo: Denise Truscello/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: National Enquirer/.4 of 16
- Photo: Warner Bros.5 of 16
- Photo: Mel Evans/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Rich Schultz/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Mel Evans/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: © Chris Walter/Retna Ltd.12 of 16
- Photo: Starstock/Photoshot Photo/Retna Ltd.13 of 16
- Photo: Bill Davila/Retna Ltd.14 of 16
- Photo: Bill Davila/Retna Ltd.15 of 16
More Celeb News
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon BernthalMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:43:00 PM
- Nicole Holofcener to Write, Direct 'Land of Steady Habits' for Fox SearchlightMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:29:00 PM
- James Foley Death: Pentagon Reveals Mission to Rescue US Hostages in Syria FailedMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:03:00 PM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Review: Eva Green Steals This Juvenile Film NoirMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Legendary Digital's Zombie Movie 'Dead Rising' Lures 'LeprechaunMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 3:49:00 PM
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon Bernthal
Cissy Houston has kept to herself since the Feb. 11 death of her world-famous daughter Whitney Houston.
The gospel and soul singer, 78, addresses Whitney's shocking passing and its aftermath in a TV interview with New Jersey-based My9's "10 O'Clock News" airing next Monday.
In the chat (conducted at the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, N.J., where the "I Will Always Love You" singer's funeral was held), Cissy says her mourning process is far from over.
"I have my moments," she admits. "I'm not there yet. I don't think I'm any more courageous than anyone else. I am a true believer in God. If I could bring her back I would, but that's not possible."
Whitney was 48 years old when her body was found partially submerged in the bathtub of her hotel room at the Beverly Hilton. Autopsy results released one week ago determined that the singer's main cause of death was accidental drowning. The superstar was also suffering from the effects of heart disease, which were exacerbated by ongoing cocaine use. (Traces of cocaine were discovered in Houston's system, and the drug was also reportedly found in the hotel room.)
But Cissy says she can't hold herself responsible for her daughter's demise in her later years. "I know I did the best I could," she says. "I don’t blame myself. I know I did the best I could for everything."
In the wake of Whitney's death, Cissy watched over Bobbi Kristina, Houston's daughter with ex Bobby Brown. Bobbi is now back in Atlanta.
"My children are my whole life," Cissy adds. "She was very special to me. . she was my only daughter, and a good one. Looked out for her family."
And, regardless of Whitney's troubles, the icon left behind an impressive, chart-topping musical legacy.
"I'm very proud of my daughter," says Cissy, who famously appeared in her daughter's "Greatest Love of All" video. "She accomplished a whole lot in the short time that she had here. ... She was a very wonderful person."
The full interview airs next Monday on My9's 10 O'Clock News."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Gwyneth Paltrow, get the romance rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBlake's Style
From Crowd Ignite