Congrats flood in for Shakira's new baby boy
- Photo: Gorassini-Guignebourg/StarTraks1 of 10
- Photo: Wonderwall2 of 10
- Photo: @Shakira/Twitter3 of 10
- Photo: ENFOQUE - NO CREDIT/Bauer-Griffin4 of 10
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin5 of 10
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin6 of 10
- Photo: IPA PRESS/Bauer-Griffin7 of 10
- Photo: Wonderwall8 of 10
- Photo: Scott Heavey/GettyImages.com9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Disney to Make Chinese Co-Productions With Shanghai Media GroupMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:37:00 PM
- Managers Call SAG-AFTRA's Code of Ethics 'DOA' After SurveyMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:31:00 PM
- FX's 'Archer' Renewed for 2 More SeasonsMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Insiders: Andrew Garfield Rewrote Batkid Oscars Speech, Thought Segment Was ExploitativeMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 3:54:00 PM
- CW's Uncensored 'Reign' Sex Scenes Are 'Appalling,' SayMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Disney to Make Chinese Co-Productions With Shanghai Media Group
Jorge Sainz, The Associated Press
MADRID (AP) -- Within hours of Shakira's baby boy being born, people are already asking about his future career.
RELATED: Shakira welcomes her first child
Will Milan Piqué Mebarak be a famous pop singer like his Colombian mother, or an international soccer star like his Spanish father, Barcelona defender Gerard Piqué?
"Welcome Milan Piqué Mebarak and congratulations to Shakira and Gerard Pique. What would you prefer as a present for the baby, a microphone or some (soccer) boots?" Manchester City striker Sergio "Kun" Aguero wrote Wednesday on Twitter.
Shakira, 35, gave birth to her first child Tuesday in Barcelona in northeastern Spain. Both the boy and mother were said to be in fine health.
Piqué's grandfather, Amador Bernabeu, said the couple was delighted.
"I still haven't seen him (Milan) in person, but I know he is dark-haired and weighs 2.9 kilograms (6 pounds)," Bernabeu told RAC-1 radio.
Congratulatory messages rained down on the couple from both sides of the Atlantic.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos was among the first to wish them the best, while the Pies Descalzos (Shoeless) Foundation for poor children, set up by Shakira in 1997, sent a Twitter message saying "The children and Pies Descalzos team are happy for Milan's birth. We love you Shakira!"
RELATED: Celebs without makeup
Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fàbregas tweeted a welcome to the baby, saying he "can't wait to meet you."
Antonella Roccuzzo, the girlfriend of Argentine soccer ace Lionel Messi, tweeted, "Welcome to the world Milan Pique Mebarak. Now Thiaguin will have a great friend," in reference to her recently born son.
One of the big surprises was child's first name. In a statement, Shakira said Milan was of central European origin and meant "loved, full of grace, loving," in Slavic and "unification" in Sanskrit.
Milan, coincidentally, is also the name of the famous soccer team from that Italian city and Barcelona's next rival in the European Champions League.
Bernabeu admitted the family was surprised by the choice and confessed he had never heard of the name. "I think Milan will become fashionable," he told the radio.
RELATED: Best bikini Twitpics
The grandfather, a former director of the Barcelona club, made sure Milan was registered as a club member as soon as he was born.
Shakira and the 25-year-old Piqué have been a couple for the past two years and are regularly featured in gossip magazines and TV programs in both Europe and Latin America.
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Check out the many ways that Britney Spears is looking better than ever.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite