Coroner: Amy Winehouse died from too much alcohol
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com1 of 16
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin2 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP3 of 16
- Photo: Daniel Edwards/Splash News4 of 16
- Photo: Daniel Edwards/Splash News5 of 16
- Photo: ZWAA/WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Islandpaps/Splash News7 of 16
- Photo: Daniel Deme/WENN8 of 16
- Photo: Daniel Deme/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News10 of 16
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News11 of 16
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com12 of 16
- Photo: TCAA/ZDS/WENN13 of 16
- Photo: ZWAA/WENN14 of 16
- Photo: TCD/ZJF/http://www.wenn.com/15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and CompMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:42:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Taps Andrew Gauthier to Lead Video DivisionMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Roger Goodell Won't Resign From NFL, But Promises Conduct Policy ChangesMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 3:29:00 PM
- HBO Suspends Pre-Production of Brian De Palma's Penn State Molestation Film 'To DeMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- Dancing's Derek Hough: We Have Something "Potentially Dangerous" PlannedMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and Comp
LONDON (AP) -- Amy Winehouse died as the unintended consequence of drinking too much alcohol, a British coroner ruled Wednesday.
Coroner Suzanne Greenaway gave a verdict of "death by misadventure," saying the singer died of accidental alcohol poisoning. "The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels [of alcohol] was her sudden and unexpected death," Greenaway said.
RELATED: Celebs React to Winehouse's Death
The singer, who had fought drug and alcohol problems for years, was found dead in bed at her London home on July 23 at age 27. An initial autopsy proved inconclusive, although it found no traces of illegal drugs in her system. Pathologist Suhail Baithun told the inquest into the singer's death that Winehouse had consumed a "very large quantity of alcohol" — the level in her blood put her more than five times over the legal drunk-driving limit.
Police Detective Inspector Les Newman, who was called after a security guard found Winehouse, said empty vodka bottles were scattered around her bedroom.
Winehouse's doctor, Dr. Christina Romete, said the singer had resumed drinking in the days before her death after a period of abstinence.
PHOTOS: Remembering Amy Winehouse
Romete, who saw Winehouse the night before she died, said the singer was "tipsy but calm." She added Winehouse had not spoken of suicide and talked about her upcoming birthday.
Romete said Winehouse had been prescribed drugs including the sedative Librium to help her cope with the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, but the coroner said these had played no role in her death.
RELATED: Celebs Gone Too Soon
Winehouse family spokesman Chris Goodman said it was a relief to the family "to finally find out what happened to Amy."
"The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol, and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time," he said.
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBirthday Fun
From Crowd Ignite