Cyndi Lauper's uncle perishes in superstorm Sandy
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 9
- Photo: Barry Brecheisen/Invision/AP2 of 9
- Photo: Daniel Warren/WENN3 of 9
- Photo: Matt Slocum/Invision/AP4 of 9
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 9
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage6 of 9
- Photo: Patrick Semansky/Invision/AP7 of 9
- Photo: Derek Storm/Splash News8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 1:40:07 PM
- Zac Efron Shops Dildos in 'Neighbors,' Proving Once Again He's Far More TMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:43:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Storms Overseas Box Office With $88 MillionMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:41:00 AM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 2:47 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:40:29 AM
- Marvel expands Infinite with 'Ultimate Spider-Man'MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:33:56 AM
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
Cyndi Lauper is mourning the loss of her uncle after he was found dead in the aftermath of superstorm Sandy.
George Stathis' body was discovered at his home in the Queens borough of New York after the massive storm battered the East Coast last week.
The singer said the 90-year-old was too scared to leave his Rockaway home when the bad weather hit and she couldn't understand why her relatives didn't go to help him.
Lauper went public with her personal loss on Monday while she was in New York to perform at the Lenox Hill Hospital's Autumn Ball, which raised money for storm victims, and she dedicated her rendition of her hit song "Time After Time" to her uncle.
She said during the event, "I lost my Uncle George in the hurricane. He was old. He didn't want to leave his house. I was in Chicago, and I called and said (to relatives), 'Why did you guys leave him,' and they just didn't think it was going to get that bad."
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julianne Moore, Amy Adams, Kim Kardashian and Kris Jenner all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite