Demi Lovato slams Lady Gaga for 'glamorizing eating disorders'
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 9
- Photo: Owen Sweeney/Invision/AP2 of 9
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage3 of 9
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA4 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP5 of 9
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA6 of 9
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 9
- Photo: Rob Latour/Rex USA8 of 9
More Celeb News
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon BernthalMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:43:00 PM
- Nicole Holofcener to Write, Direct 'Land of Steady Habits' for Fox SearchlightMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:29:00 PM
- James Foley Death: Pentagon Reveals Mission to Rescue US Hostages in Syria FailedMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:03:00 PM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Review: Eva Green Steals This Juvenile Film NoirMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Legendary Digital's Zombie Movie 'Dead Rising' Lures 'LeprechaunMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 3:49:00 PM
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon Bernthal
Provocative? More like "sad" to Demi Lovato. The "Neon Lights" singer took to Twitter on Friday to slam Lady Gaga's puke-filled performance at the SXSW music festival, venting that it actually glorified bulimia.
"Sad" wrote Lovato, 21. "As if we didn't have enough people glamorizing eating disorders already. Bottom line, it's not 'cool' or 'artsy' at all."
As seen in footage from the concert, Gaga at one point, kneeled down next to vomit painter Millie Brown, who stuck her finger down her throat and threw up a slimy substance over the ARTPOP singer. The particular moment struck a sour note with Lovato, who continued railing against the performance Friday: "Would you let someone bring a needle and shoot up on you?" she asked. "Addiction is addiction."
The connection is personal for Lovato, who entered rehab back in October 2010 to seek treatment for "physical and emotional issues." The former Disney star, who left three months later with the goal to serve as a positive role model for young women and fans worldwide, continued to voice her concerns in an extended message.
"All I'm saying is, artists in pop culture have influence on people," she wrote. "Young people who are struggling to figure out their identities are seriously influenced by the things they see their idols do. Whether we intend to or not, artists influence people of ALL ages and unfortunately what people see, people do. Hair, clothes and sometimes misinterpreting things, therefore using the excuse of art to engage in self-destructive behaviors."
Lovato reflected on her own personal trials and confessed to fans, "I've been through a s--- ton.. More than any of you know." The pop star added, "People emulate what they see celebrities do or let happen. And that's why I had to say something.. to let the people who don't understand the art in it, that bulimia isn't cool, and it won't get you on stage with your favorite artist."
Lovato, ending her message on a positive note and wrote "No hate, no shade, just love." She also tweeted directly at Gaga Friday and gushed, "You're SO talented, if not one of the most talented in our industry PERIOD. Dope is INCREDIBLE.. but you don't have to do that."
Lovato added to her fans, "Ps. I'm still a little monster myself."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite