Dolly Parton defends goddaughter Miley Cyrus
- Photo: Disney/WENN1 of 13
- Photo: @mileycyrus/Twitter2 of 13
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP3 of 13
- Photo: Mirrorpix/Splash News4 of 13
- Photo: Katy Winn/Invision/AP5 of 13
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Flynet6 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 13
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP8 of 13
- Photo: TMCS/GSI9 of 13
- Photo: mileycyrus/Instagram10 of 13
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage11 of 13
- Photo: Scott Gries/Invision/AP12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Lena Dunham Reacts to Naked Critics Makes, Deletes Molestation Joke on TwitterMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:14:00 PM
- Katie Couric to Interview Michael Bloomberg for YahooMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 9:57:00 PM
- Lindsay Lohan Is a 'Prisoner' on OWN Series: 'It's My Last Shot&MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 9:24:00 PM
- Emerson College Opens L.A. Campus on Sunset Blvd. With Hollywood Gala (Photos)MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 9:11:00 PM
- 'True Detective' Season Finale: Darkness, Yeah-uhMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 8:02:00 PM
- Lena Dunham Reacts to Naked Critics Makes, Deletes Molestation Joke on Twitter
Must be nice to have Dolly Parton on your side! Miley Cyrus' godmother -- the legendary Parton -- discussed the 20-year-old singer in a recent interview with the London Evening Standard, and revealed that she's advised the "We Can't Stop" singer throughout her career.
"I've loved her through the years and watched her grow up, and I've seen how smart she is and how talented she is," the 67-year-old said during the interview. "I don't think people really realize yet what a great singer and writer she really is. She's just trying to find her own place and wings and learn to fly."
Cyrus has had a whirlwind few months stemming from her raunchy performance at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards with R&B crooner Robin Thicke in late August. Since then, she's split from fiance Liam Hemsworth in September after 4 years together, talked about her weed use in a cover spread with Rolling Stone and hosted "Saturday Night Live."
"It's not easy being young," the "9 to 5" singer continued. "It's hard to know what to do. You've almost got to sacrifice your damn soul just to get anything done."
Though the "Wrecking Ball" singer has sparked controversy with some of her choices while trying to shed her Disney image, Parton trusts that Cyrus knows what she's doing in the long-run. "If she needs my opinion on something I will surely give it and there have been times we've talked."
She added, "But I would never dream of calling her and saying, 'Well, why are you doing this?' or, 'You shouldn't do this or that.' I know that she has thought this all through. We'll let her go and do her own thing."
Billy Ray Cyrus' daughter has also opened up about Parton in previous years, often citing her as one of her biggest influences. "My top five favorite female singers -- No. 1 has to be Dolly Parton because she's my godmother and because she's a real-life Barbie doll and I love that. She is a legend and her music I think represents my whole childhood," Cyrus said during an interview with Billboard in July. "She's just the most special person in the world."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite