Drake's emotional prison visit to Lil Wayne
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Steven Hirsch/Splash News2 of 13
- Photo: Seth Browarnik/Red Eye Productions/Promotional3 of 13
- Photo: DC2/MPT/WENN4 of 13
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP6 of 13
- Photo: Walik Goshorn/Retna Ltd.7 of 13
- Photo: David Tonnessen/Pacific Coast News8 of 13
- Photo: Patrick Semansky/Invision/AP9 of 13
- Photo: Walik Goshorn/Retna Ltd.10 of 13
- Photo: Sophia Jones/Retna Ltd.11 of 13
- Photo: Scott D. Smith/Retna Ltd.12 of 13
More Celeb News
- '24's' Joel Surnow on Directorial Debut 'Small Time:' &MSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 3:48:00 PM
- 'Mad Men' Final Season Wish-List: What Don Draper's Fate Should Be (GuestMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 3:22:00 PM
- The Biz: PBS Celebrates Music's Hall of FAME With Muscle ShoalsMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 3:17:00 PM
- Lara Spencer Promoted to Co-Host on Good Morning AmericaMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 1:36:00 PM
- Exclusive: Luke Perry Heads to Hot in ClevelandMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 1:22:00 PM
- '24's' Joel Surnow on Directorial Debut 'Small Time:' &
Drake endured an emotional meeting with his mentor Lil Wayne in jail last week when the incarcerated rapper sat him down for a serious chat to warn him not to make the same mistakes he had.
RELATED: See more pics of Lil Wayne
The "Lollipop" hitmaker signed Drake to his Young Money record label last year, but in March (10) Lil Wayne was sentenced to 12 months behind bars on weapons possession charges.
Drake admits it was hard seeing his mentor locked up, and reveals that during their talk Wayne pleaded with him to stay out of "trouble."
He tells MTV News, "He kept looking to the window ... I was like, 'Why does he keep staring through the window? There's nothing out there.' To him, there's a whole world moving out there that he hasn't seen for so long ..."
"He told me something I never thought I'd hear him say, which was, 'You're the ultimate artist. You're better than me. You don't have the tattoos, you don't cause any trouble. People like you.' He was like, basically, 'Look at me and look at you.'"
RELATED: Lil Wayne & more Big Easy celebs
"(He once said), 'Whatever, man, whatever you do, do not get no tattoos never in your life (sic). They gonna think you got it because you came around me.' He said the same thing to me (during the prison visit): 'Don't change yourself, please. You got it. I've never met a young dude that has it figured out, but you got it. Don't mess it up. Just be you. Sing! Rap! Be you. Don't stop smiling.' That's what he said."
From Crowd Ignite