Eddie Van Halen Says Dad Fueled Drinking
- Photo: JD3/WENN1 of 7
- Photo: © Arroyo/Retna Ltd.2 of 7
- Photo: Jean-Paul Aussenard/WireImage3 of 7
- Photo: Kees/Tabak/Sunshine/Retna Digital4 of 7
- Photo: Retna Digital5 of 7
- Photo: Reuters6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Sony Overhauls 'Smurfs' Franchise, Plans 'Popeye' MovieMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 10:20:00 AM
- Body of Proof's Nic Bishop Joins Covert AffairsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 10:18:00 AM
- CBS Renews The Big Bang Theory for Three More SeasonsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:58:00 AM
- Alan Thicke Reality Sitcom to Get 14-Episode Run on TV Guide NetworkMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:56:00 AM
- 'Masters of Sex' Casts Keke Palmer for Season 2MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:52:00 AM
- Sony Overhauls 'Smurfs' Franchise, Plans 'Popeye' Movie
NEW YORK (AP) -- Eddie Van Halen puts some of the blame on his father for his long struggle with alcohol.
RELATED: Sober Stars
In the May issue of Esquire, the Van Halen guitarist said "the whole alcoholism thing" developed when he asked his dad how to combat his nerves when playing music in front of people.
His father gave him a shot of vodka and a cigarette to ease his nerves, and that started Van Halen on a near lifetime of drinking.
RELATED: '80s Rockers: Where Are They Now?
The 57-year-old Van Halen also talked about the struggle to get clean, pulling his son Wolfgang out of school at 15 to join the band, and his relationship with ex-wife Valerie Bertinelli.
The issue hits newsstands on April 24. The recently reunited Van Halen is now on tour.
RELATED: Esquire: Eddie Van Halen is Alive
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
From the Atkins Diet to aerial fitness classes, see what stars like Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba and Beyonce do to keep in shape.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite