Elton John on Miley Cyrus: 'I see a meltdown waiting to happen'
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage1 of 11
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage3 of 11
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images North America4 of 11
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage5 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: Gotcha Images/Splash News7 of 11
- Photo: Dean/NPG8 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 11
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
Is Miley Cyrus' split from fiance Liam Hemsworth just the beginning of a downward spiral? In a new interview with The Australian, music legend Elton John talks about how he's concerned about the path the 20-year-old controversial singer is headed on.
"I look at Miley Cyrus and I see a meltdown waiting to happen," John, 66, told the paper (via Huffington Post). "And she's so young! But she's got two records in the top 20, so who is going to stop her?"
The "We Can't Stop" singer's rep confirmed to Us Weekly on Sept. 16 that she's called off her engagement to Hemsworth, 23. The two have been dating off and on since meeting on the set of The Last Song in 2010, and got engaged in May 2012. (John's chat with The Australian was conducted before Cyrus' split was announced.)
An insider told Us that "The Hunger Games" actor was "embarrassed" by Cyrus' hypersexual, rebellious new look. In the October issue of Harper's Bazaar, the former Disney star defended her behavior, reasoning, "I was an adult when I was supposed to be a kid. So now I'm an adult and I'm acting like a kid."
In addition to fearing for Cyrus' future, John also told The Australian that he worries about another pop star, Lady Gaga. "With Gaga -- who I love, she's the godmother to our children -- I'd like to be able to talk to her right now, but I can't get through to her," he said. "And there are times when you have to listen. When your persona begins to take over your music and becomes more important, you enter a dangerous place. Once you have people around you who don't question you, you're in a dangerous place."
Gaga, ironically, recently came to Cyrus' defense following her raunchy performance with Robin Thicke at the MTV VMAs last month. "I just think everyone has to lighten up and leave her alone. Because it's pop music, everybody is entitled to their own artistic expression. And if you have a problem with it, change the channel," Gaga said during an interview on "Watch What Happens Live" on Sept. 11. "She's growing up in front of the entire world, and maybe she's not so happy with the things that she did in her career when she was younger and she wants to be free. So let her do what she wants!"
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
From Miranda and Orlando to the Jenners, see some of Hollywood's most amicable exes on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See which celebs had the best and worst beach bodies of 2012.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBen vs. Casey
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite