Eric Clapton's Richter Sells for $34.2 Million
- Photo: Kiichiro Sato/Invision/AP1 of 5
- Photo: Charles Rex Arbogast/Invision/AP2 of 5
- Photo: MATRIX/Bauer-Griffin3 of 5
- Photo: Kiichiro Sato/Invision/AP4 of 5
More Celeb News
- David Anderle, Record Producer and Music Executive, Dead at 77MSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 4:35:00 PM
- Susan Lyne to Exit Post as AOL Brand Group CEOMSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 4:09:00 PM
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Publicity Team Apologizes for 'Headless Day' CamMSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 3:45:00 PM
- IMG Names Karen Brodkin President of Business AffairsMSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 3:10:00 PM
- Netflix Launching Selective Facebook RecommendationsMSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 2:41:00 PM
- David Anderle, Record Producer and Music Executive, Dead at 77
LONDON (AP) -- A Gerhard Richter painting owned by Eric Clapton has sold for 21.3 million pounds ($34.2 million), handily beating pre-sale estimates and setting a new auction record for the German abstract artist.
RELATED: Richest Stars Under 30
Sotheby's auction house says Richter's "Abstraktes Bild" sold to an anonymous buyer Friday in London, ending a more than five-minute bidding competition between two telephone buyers.
The 1994 abstract oil on canvas piece from guitarist Clapton's collection was expected to sell for between 9 million and 12 million pounds.
Friday's sale handily beat Richter's previous auction record of $21.9 million set in May in New York with the sale of his "Abstract Picture (7938-3)."
RELATED: Bing: Stars Who Went Broke
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See where Hollywood's A-listers have spent the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Gwyneth Paltrow, get the romance rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jared Leto, Madonna and Jaime King all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Eva
From Crowd Ignite