Eric Clapton's Richter Sells for $34.2 Million
- Photo: Kiichiro Sato/Invision/AP1 of 5
- Photo: Charles Rex Arbogast/Invision/AP2 of 5
- Photo: MATRIX/Bauer-Griffin3 of 5
- Photo: Kiichiro Sato/Invision/AP4 of 5
More Celeb News
- Andy Cohen Dishes on Five Years of Watch What Happens LiveMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 4:01:00 AM
- US Television Productions in Israel Working Under Threat of Rocket AttacksMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 1:39:00 AM
- 'Big Brother': Everything Blows Up at Volatile Power of Veto MeetingMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 12:58:00 AM
- Emmy Nominations: TheWrap's Live BlogMSNEntertainment 7/9/2014 8:47:00 PM
- Party Report: 7 Days in a McMansion Hulu Shot "Real Housewives" Spoof "MSNEntertainment 7/9/2014 7:17:00 PM
- Andy Cohen Dishes on Five Years of Watch What Happens Live
LONDON (AP) -- A Gerhard Richter painting owned by Eric Clapton has sold for 21.3 million pounds ($34.2 million), handily beating pre-sale estimates and setting a new auction record for the German abstract artist.
RELATED: Richest Stars Under 30
Sotheby's auction house says Richter's "Abstraktes Bild" sold to an anonymous buyer Friday in London, ending a more than five-minute bidding competition between two telephone buyers.
The 1994 abstract oil on canvas piece from guitarist Clapton's collection was expected to sell for between 9 million and 12 million pounds.
Friday's sale handily beat Richter's previous auction record of $21.9 million set in May in New York with the sale of his "Abstract Picture (7938-3)."
RELATED: Bing: Stars Who Went Broke
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez brings the glam while spending time with her fam at Paris Fashion Week on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna shows her softer, sweeter side -- plus a newfound maternal instinct! -- on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Justin Timberlake, Kristen Bell and more stars enjoying summery activities -- from golf and tennis to romps on the beach and more!Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian and more pregnant stars show off their baby bumps over the holiday weekend on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHorsing Around
From Crowd Ignite