Eric Clapton's Richter Sells for $34.2 Million
- Photo: Kiichiro Sato/Invision/AP1 of 5
- Photo: Charles Rex Arbogast/Invision/AP2 of 5
- Photo: MATRIX/Bauer-Griffin3 of 5
- Photo: Kiichiro Sato/Invision/AP4 of 5
More Celeb News
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:58:00 PM
- ESPN's SEC Network Scores Carriage Deal With Time Warner Cable, Bright HouseMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:48:00 PM
- Museums plan Piero di Cosimo exhibit in US, ItalyMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:37:49 PM
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Offer Early Look at 'Interstellar'MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Dwayne Johnson holds surprise 'Hercules' screeningMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:16:28 PM
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season
LONDON (AP) -- A Gerhard Richter painting owned by Eric Clapton has sold for 21.3 million pounds ($34.2 million), handily beating pre-sale estimates and setting a new auction record for the German abstract artist.
RELATED: Richest Stars Under 30
Sotheby's auction house says Richter's "Abstraktes Bild" sold to an anonymous buyer Friday in London, ending a more than five-minute bidding competition between two telephone buyers.
The 1994 abstract oil on canvas piece from guitarist Clapton's collection was expected to sell for between 9 million and 12 million pounds.
Friday's sale handily beat Richter's previous auction record of $21.9 million set in May in New York with the sale of his "Abstract Picture (7938-3)."
RELATED: Bing: Stars Who Went Broke
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nick Cannon shows off a new cheetah print hairstyle on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham mourns the loss of her bicycle on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite