Garth Brooks on His Relationship With Wife Trisha Yearwood: 'I Never Knew It Could Be Like This'
- Photo: Michael Rozman/Warner Bros.1 of 8
- Photo: Alonzo Adams/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: SGranitz/WireImage3 of 8
- Photo: Chris Connor/WENN4 of 8
- Photo: Mark Humphrey/Invision/AP5 of 8
- Photo: Jae C. Hong/Invision/AP6 of 8
- Photo: Beth Gwinn/Retna Ltd.7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&aposMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:24:00 PM
- 8 Things That Will and 2 Things That (Probably) Won't Happen on Big Bang Theory Season 8MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:19:00 PM
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New YorkMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Crosses $250 Million at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&apos
Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood are living proof that -- like their song says -- love will always win. Though both were married to other people when they first met back in 1987, there was an undeniable connection between them. Years later, when they found themselves suddenly single at the same time, that connection turned romantic. In a new interview for the Friday, Nov. 29, episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," Brooks opens up about falling in love with Yearwood, whom he married in December 2005.
Asked by DeGeneres how the two came to be friends (and then more than friends), the "Wrapped Up in You" singer explained that songwriter Kent Blazy had introduced them. Blazy thought Brooks would like the "How Do I Live" chanteuse -- and he was right.
"When she left, he goes, 'What did you think?' I said, 'Well, it's strange, because I felt that feeling like when you just meet your wife, but I've been married for 13 months,'" Brooks recalled.
At the time, the country star was wed to his college sweetheart, Sandy Mahl. And though he felt a spark with Yearwood, he was committed to being a good husband and spending his life with Mahl. "Being married, it's got to be right. This is who you went to college with, and you were married in front of God and your family and everything," he told DeGeneres. "So you keep hacking, and you work and you work and you work. And then comes that time where you're looking at the rest of your life going, 'How do you want to live it?'"
The spouses, who have three children together, filed for divorce in late 2000. Yearwood -- previously married to Chris Latham and Robert Reynolds -- happened to be newly single, as well, so she and Brooks started dating.
"This was somebody I always enjoyed being around. And we had a lot more in common than I ever dreamed we did. And so we started seeing each other after the divorce," he said. "We'd known each other music-wise, but we got to see each other as people. And I've got to tell you, if you like her and don't know her, you'll love her. If you love her and don't know her, you'll worship her. She's the real deal."
Their romance is the real deal, too. "I've got to tell you, I never knew it could be like this," the 51-year-old crooner told DeGeneres of life with Yearwood. "I never knew that everyday you could wake up and feel like this. And I have God and I have Ms. Yearwood to thank for this."
Brooks also gushed about his wife's many talents and endeavors, which include a music career, a Food Network cooking show, and three cookbooks. "I'm part of the working wives club," he joked. "I lay out at the pool with the other husbands."
"She's the bomb, man. She does it all," he added. So, what's the thing she does best?
"Make no mistake -- Ms. Yearwood was born to sing. That's just what she does ... I'll put her in the top five female voices of all time. She's that good."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBeautiful Family
From Crowd Ignite