- Photo: Picasa/WireImage1 of 14
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage2 of 14
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/Invision/AP3 of 14
- Photo: Teach/Fame Flynet4 of 14
- Photo: Fame Flynet5 of 14
- Photo: Christopher Polk/Getty Images North America6 of 14
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin7 of 14
- Photo: Fame Flynet8 of 14
- Photo: VPE/WENN9 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage10 of 14
- Photo: APL/WENN11 of 14
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage12 of 14
- Photo: beyonce.tumblr.com/Promotional13 of 14
More Celeb News
- HBO's Beyonce-Jay Z 'On the Run Tour' Documentary Slayed Fans: The Best TMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 8:56:00 PM
- TLC's 'Little People, Big World' Star Jeremy Roloff's Wedding FiMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 6:17:00 PM
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years LateMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- 8 Crazy Things to Expect on Sleepy Hollow Season 2MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Emmy Winner and Singer Polly Bergen Dies at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- HBO's Beyonce-Jay Z 'On the Run Tour' Documentary Slayed Fans: The Best T
By Kat Giantis
Fans of Jay-Z's lyrical stylings know how much he reveres Robert De Niro. He frequently name-drops the iconic actor, from the opening lines of "New York State of Mind" ("Yeah, I'm out that Brooklyn, now I'm down in TriBeCa, right next to De Niro") to "Party Life" ("Sippin' on my vino got me cooler than Pacino and De Niro put together, my real life is like 'Casino'").
But Hova managed to get on Bob's bad side by not practicing proper phone etiquette, says the New York Post, which claims the two ended up in a "tense beef" at Leonardo DiCaprio's celebrity-stuffed charitable birthday bash last weekend.
De Niro, in what sounds like a pitch-perfect recreation of his crankypants "Meet the Parents" character, reportedly took Jay-Z to task for not returning his calls over plans to record a song for the TriBeCa Film Festival.
"Bob was sitting at a table, and when Jay-Z went over to say hello, De Niro told Jay that he never called him back," relays a big-eared spy. "Bob wasn't in any mood to make polite conversation. He told Jay that if somebody calls you six times, you call them back. It doesn't matter who you are, that is just rude."
Jay-Z could have pulled any number of excuses out of his pocket ("I was busy with the election/Blue Ivy/running my empire/firing my assistant for never giving me messages") but instead, he laughed and sheepishly explained he's "terrible on the phone," according to a source.
"De Niro kept telling him that he thinks he's the man," recalls the snitch, "but that he was disrespectful.'"
Perhaps sensing her husband was in trouble, Beyoncé came over, but it seems she was unable to smooth things over.
"It was the talk of the party," marvels the source. "Everyone was saying there's only one star in New York bigger and badder than Jay-Z, and that's Robert De Niro. He can be quite scary when he's angry."
As his turn as a baseball bat-wielding Al Capone in "The Untouchables" proved (and "Raging Bull," and "Cape Fear" and, well, you get the idea). Still, another insider insists the pair's confab over call-return conduct has been overblown.
"It was a low-key private conversation between two people that was apparently overheard," a De Niro confidant tells the paper. "It was not a heated discussion."
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBirthday Fun
From Crowd Ignite