Selena Gomez fires her parents, as Taylor Swift's are accused of being 'controlling'
- Photo: Victoria Will/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: MPNC/GSI2 of 11
- Photo: Frazer Harrison/KCA2014/Getty Images North America3 of 11
- Photo: LTA/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/Rex USA5 of 11
- Photo: 4CRNS/Fame Flynet6 of 11
- Photo: VM/Fame Flynet7 of 11
- Photo: Jim Smeal/BEImages/Rex USA8 of 11
- Photo: Frazer Harrison/WireImage9 of 11
- Photo: Canham/Splash News10 of 11
More Celeb News
- California Senate Passes $330 Million Film and TV Tax Credit ExpansionMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 4:25:00 PM
- New Star Wars Film Resumes Production After Harrison Ford InjuryMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 3:44:00 PM
- 'Greatest American Hero' Reboot by '22 Jump Street' Team in the MSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 2:59:00 PM
- 'The Following' Showrunner Jennifer Johnson Exits After Only Three MonthsMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 1:19:00 PM
- A&E Networks to Buy Stake in Vice MediaMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 12:51:00 PM
- California Senate Passes $330 Million Film and TV Tax Credit Expansion
By Kat Giantis
Selena Gomez can't quit Justin Bieber, but the same doesn't apply to the other important people in her life. TMZ says the starlet, 21, has given the professional heave-ho to her mom and stepfather, who have been managing her career since she first found fame on the Disney Channel.
Selena reportedly handed Mandy and Brian Teefey their walking papers last month, removing them from all decision-making duties regarding her career. According to TMZ, "she feels she's outgrown her parents. She believes she's now old enough -- and famous enough -- to have a seasoned professional manager with other A-list clients."
Gomez has apparently disagreed with her mom and stepdad over both personal and career issues, but "family friction" did not prompt her decision. Seems they're all still close, although the Teefeys are less than thrilled over being fired.
"No one's happy about it," said a spy. "But [her family] feels like they've done all they can and it's up to her. She has to figure it out on her own."
Selena, who joins Beyoncé and Scarlett Johansson on the list of stars who have canned their manager parents, is currently searching for new representation.
Meanwhile, on the other end of the parental manager spectrum is Taylor Swift. Page Six says the senior Swifts have become "difficult and controlling stage parents" as they've taken the reins of her mega-successful career. The hands-on involvement of former financial professionals Scott and Andrea Swift has supposedly led to the exit of Taylor's high-powered agents, publicist and business managers.
"Taylor's parents are incredibly difficult to deal with," alleges a source. "Their expectations are enormous, and they are very hard to please. They want to pay as little as possible and treat people like [bleep], because they think those people are lucky to have the chance to work with a superstar like Taylor."
The Swifts are reportedly separated but decided against divorce because "they don't want to damage Taylor's career."
"Taylor's parents think they can do things better, and what makes things complicated is that they no longer live together," continues the spy. "They are not on the same page and don't even like to be in the same room. Andrea requests that her husband not be present at meetings. Taylor is incredibly smart and professional, but at some point she's going to need her parents to stop, before it turns into a total Katherine Heigl 'momager' situation."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Her Little Pony
Check out Khloe Kardashian, Kaley Cuoco and more stars who ride horses on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVenice Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite