Green Day Bassist Opens Up About Billie Joe Armstrong's Health Issues
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: MJT/Ad Media/Retna Ltd.3 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Jemal Countess/WireImage.com6 of 10
- Photo: Steven Vlasic/GettyImages.com7 of 10
- Photo: Henny Ray Abrams/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Peter Kramer/AP/KRAPE9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
Green Day member Mike Dirnt has opened up about the health crisis that sent frontman Billie Joe Armstrong to rehab, revealing the singer was overworked and tired when he suffered a meltdown at a show in Las Vegas. Armstrong checked himself into a treatment facility the following day for substance abuse issues.
Bass player Dirnt tells BBC Radio 1 that Armstrong was under a lot of pressure as the group embarked on a major campaign to promote three albums in four months.
He says, "It was a tremendous undertaking ... (and) it catches up with you a little bit. We definitely jumped off a moving train. All that inertia. There were signs of things hitting the fan. We hadn't slept in forever."
Dirnt admits he hasn't seen Armstrong since the Las Vegas meltdown, when Armstrong hurled expletives at the organizers of the iHeartRadio Music Festival for trying to cut his set.
But the rocker insists he and fellow bandmate Tre Cool had no qualms about scrapping their promotional commitments as Armstrong sought help, adding, "We had to put the life of our friend in front of everything."
RELATED: Demi Lovato: A Year Since Rehab
Armstrong appeared on "The Voice" on Monday in a segment that was taped before his meltdown and subsequent rehab stint, which is ongoing. As his debut on "The Voice" aired, the band members announced plans to pull their appearance at this month's Voodoo Music + Arts Experience in New Orleans.
Cool, the drummer, tells WENN, "Canceling shows is something we rarely do. We never want to let our fans down, and we are grateful for all of you being understanding during this time."
RELATED: 15 Celebrity Rehab Repeat Offenders
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHits and Misses
From Crowd Ignite