Green Day Bassist Opens Up About Billie Joe Armstrong's Health Issues
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: MJT/Ad Media/Retna Ltd.3 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Jemal Countess/WireImage.com6 of 10
- Photo: Steven Vlasic/GettyImages.com7 of 10
- Photo: Henny Ray Abrams/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Peter Kramer/AP/KRAPE9 of 10
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive ProducersMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:08:58 PM
- Carole King Hits D.C. for Gershwin Salute MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:03:12 PM
- Zac Efron Will Get Busted With Cocaine in Fox's 'Narc'MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:00:27 PM
- Universal's 'Endless Love' Hitting Theaters on Valentine's DayMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:47:06 PM
- TLC's 'Little Couple' Preview: A Crash Course in Parenting (Exclusive VidMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:21:51 PM
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive Producers
Green Day member Mike Dirnt has opened up about the health crisis that sent frontman Billie Joe Armstrong to rehab, revealing the singer was overworked and tired when he suffered a meltdown at a show in Las Vegas. Armstrong checked himself into a treatment facility the following day for substance abuse issues.
Bass player Dirnt tells BBC Radio 1 that Armstrong was under a lot of pressure as the group embarked on a major campaign to promote three albums in four months.
He says, "It was a tremendous undertaking ... (and) it catches up with you a little bit. We definitely jumped off a moving train. All that inertia. There were signs of things hitting the fan. We hadn't slept in forever."
Dirnt admits he hasn't seen Armstrong since the Las Vegas meltdown, when Armstrong hurled expletives at the organizers of the iHeartRadio Music Festival for trying to cut his set.
But the rocker insists he and fellow bandmate Tre Cool had no qualms about scrapping their promotional commitments as Armstrong sought help, adding, "We had to put the life of our friend in front of everything."
RELATED: Demi Lovato: A Year Since Rehab
Armstrong appeared on "The Voice" on Monday in a segment that was taped before his meltdown and subsequent rehab stint, which is ongoing. As his debut on "The Voice" aired, the band members announced plans to pull their appearance at this month's Voodoo Music + Arts Experience in New Orleans.
Cool, the drummer, tells WENN, "Canceling shows is something we rarely do. We never want to let our fans down, and we are grateful for all of you being understanding during this time."
RELATED: 15 Celebrity Rehab Repeat Offenders
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite