Green Day Bassist Opens Up About Billie Joe Armstrong's Health Issues
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: MJT/Ad Media/Retna Ltd.3 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Jemal Countess/WireImage.com6 of 10
- Photo: Steven Vlasic/GettyImages.com7 of 10
- Photo: Henny Ray Abrams/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Peter Kramer/AP/KRAPE9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Thompson, Fantagraphics co-publisher, dies at 56MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 4:30:39 PM
- 'Hemlock Grove' Renewed for Season 2MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 4:19:55 PM
- Kelsey Grammer, Martin Lawrence Land Lawyer Comedy at FX MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:51:37 PM
- Music Journalist Chet Flippo Dead at 69MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:26:04 PM
- Owen Wilson and Woody Harrelson Go Back In Time in 'Free Bird's Trailer (Video)MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:01:15 PM
- Thompson, Fantagraphics co-publisher, dies at 56
Green Day member Mike Dirnt has opened up about the health crisis that sent frontman Billie Joe Armstrong to rehab, revealing the singer was overworked and tired when he suffered a meltdown at a show in Las Vegas. Armstrong checked himself into a treatment facility the following day for substance abuse issues.
Bass player Dirnt tells BBC Radio 1 that Armstrong was under a lot of pressure as the group embarked on a major campaign to promote three albums in four months.
He says, "It was a tremendous undertaking ... (and) it catches up with you a little bit. We definitely jumped off a moving train. All that inertia. There were signs of things hitting the fan. We hadn't slept in forever."
Dirnt admits he hasn't seen Armstrong since the Las Vegas meltdown, when Armstrong hurled expletives at the organizers of the iHeartRadio Music Festival for trying to cut his set.
But the rocker insists he and fellow bandmate Tre Cool had no qualms about scrapping their promotional commitments as Armstrong sought help, adding, "We had to put the life of our friend in front of everything."
RELATED: Demi Lovato: A Year Since Rehab
Armstrong appeared on "The Voice" on Monday in a segment that was taped before his meltdown and subsequent rehab stint, which is ongoing. As his debut on "The Voice" aired, the band members announced plans to pull their appearance at this month's Voodoo Music + Arts Experience in New Orleans.
Cool, the drummer, tells WENN, "Canceling shows is something we rarely do. We never want to let our fans down, and we are grateful for all of you being understanding during this time."
RELATED: 15 Celebrity Rehab Repeat Offenders
- Fashion Offenders for June 14, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for June 6, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 31, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 24, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for May 17, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 10, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 3, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for April 26, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for April 19, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for April 12, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for April 5, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for March 29, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 22, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 15, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 8, 2013
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Ashley Greene reveals a painful wound from a wild Bali vacation on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
From David Beckham to Ben Affleck, check out Hollywood's hottest dads.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite