Green Day Bassist Opens Up About Billie Joe Armstrong's Health Issues
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: MJT/Ad Media/Retna Ltd.3 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: Jemal Countess/WireImage.com6 of 10
- Photo: Steven Vlasic/GettyImages.com7 of 10
- Photo: Henny Ray Abrams/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Peter Kramer/AP/KRAPE9 of 10
More Celeb News
- AwesomenessTV's Brian Robbins on How He'll Make 'The SMOSH Movie&aposMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 4:15:00 PM
- '90210' Alum AnnaLynne McCord Booked for CBS's 'Stalker&aposMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 4:12:00 PM
- How Networks Are Moving On From 'Irrelevant' Overnight Ratings: The 7-Day SolutionMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 4:11:00 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 6:52 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 3:52:23 PM
- Joan Rivers Clinic 'Fixes Problems' Cited After the Comedienne's DeathMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 3:49:00 PM
- AwesomenessTV's Brian Robbins on How He'll Make 'The SMOSH Movie&apos
Green Day member Mike Dirnt has opened up about the health crisis that sent frontman Billie Joe Armstrong to rehab, revealing the singer was overworked and tired when he suffered a meltdown at a show in Las Vegas. Armstrong checked himself into a treatment facility the following day for substance abuse issues.
Bass player Dirnt tells BBC Radio 1 that Armstrong was under a lot of pressure as the group embarked on a major campaign to promote three albums in four months.
He says, "It was a tremendous undertaking ... (and) it catches up with you a little bit. We definitely jumped off a moving train. All that inertia. There were signs of things hitting the fan. We hadn't slept in forever."
Dirnt admits he hasn't seen Armstrong since the Las Vegas meltdown, when Armstrong hurled expletives at the organizers of the iHeartRadio Music Festival for trying to cut his set.
But the rocker insists he and fellow bandmate Tre Cool had no qualms about scrapping their promotional commitments as Armstrong sought help, adding, "We had to put the life of our friend in front of everything."
RELATED: Demi Lovato: A Year Since Rehab
Armstrong appeared on "The Voice" on Monday in a segment that was taped before his meltdown and subsequent rehab stint, which is ongoing. As his debut on "The Voice" aired, the band members announced plans to pull their appearance at this month's Voodoo Music + Arts Experience in New Orleans.
Cool, the drummer, tells WENN, "Canceling shows is something we rarely do. We never want to let our fans down, and we are grateful for all of you being understanding during this time."
RELATED: 15 Celebrity Rehab Repeat Offenders
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite