Gwen Stefani calls herself 'chunky' in 1983 photo, criticized for body-shaming
- Photo: @gwenstefani/Twitter1 of 8
- Photo: VM/Fame Flynet2 of 8
- Photo: Fame Pictures3 of 8
- Photo: All Access Photo/Splash News4 of 8
- Photo: Yogi Gims/GSI5 of 8
- Photo: Stoianov/Fame Flynet6 of 8
- Photo: WENN7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Cheryl Cole Reunites With Simon Cowell for 'X Factor' UKMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:34:00 PM
- Fox Reorganizes Development and Programming DepartmentsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Dan Harmon and Mitch Hurwitz Are Working on a Super-Secret ProjectMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Sean Combs Bids Reported $200 Million for Fuse TV NetworkMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:12:00 PM
- Psych's James Roday to Star in CBS Relationship Comedy PilotMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 4:07:00 PM
- Cheryl Cole Reunites With Simon Cowell for 'X Factor' UK
"Chunky me 1983. getting @officialsting autograph backstage. cut to . . ." Stefani wrote. In the vintage photo, a teenage Stefani is seen getting an autograph from Sting, who was straddling a motorcycle. For her meeting with the then-frontman of The Police, the soon-to-be rocker herself has an edgy, mohawk-inspired hairstyle and is wearing a yellow sweater, khaki shorts and white flats.
The flashback photo received some criticism on Twitter over Stefani calling herself "chunky." "@gwenstefani please don't call yourself chunky," one commenter wrote. "Too many girls and women look up to you for you to talk like that."
Yahoo! Shine also posted an article titled "Gwen Stefani's Comments About Her 'Chunky' Body Makes Us Sad."
MTV News uncovered an old interview with Stefani from 1996 where she said she was "chubby" growing up. "I was like a chubby girl, a chubby kid my whole life," Stefani said. "So that's something that I've always had to work on." The "Hollaback Girl" singer, who currently expecting her third child, also revealed at the time that her mom put her on a diet at a young age. "I had a really a big Italian grandma, like this big . . . like a house," she said. "She was really cute and I used to cuddle in her chubby arms."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Oscar nominee Lupita Nyong’o shares her awards season journey (and meetings with Oprah, Sidney Poitier and the Dalai Lama!) on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Drunk In Love
Jessica Simpon, Gisele Bundchen and more celebs share intimate pics of their partners on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite