Gwen Stefani calls herself 'chunky' in 1983 photo, criticized for body-shaming
- Photo: @gwenstefani/Twitter1 of 8
- Photo: VM/Fame Flynet2 of 8
- Photo: Fame Pictures3 of 8
- Photo: All Access Photo/Splash News4 of 8
- Photo: Yogi Gims/GSI5 of 8
- Photo: Stoianov/Fame Flynet6 of 8
- Photo: WENN7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
"Chunky me 1983. getting @officialsting autograph backstage. cut to . . ." Stefani wrote. In the vintage photo, a teenage Stefani is seen getting an autograph from Sting, who was straddling a motorcycle. For her meeting with the then-frontman of The Police, the soon-to-be rocker herself has an edgy, mohawk-inspired hairstyle and is wearing a yellow sweater, khaki shorts and white flats.
The flashback photo received some criticism on Twitter over Stefani calling herself "chunky." "@gwenstefani please don't call yourself chunky," one commenter wrote. "Too many girls and women look up to you for you to talk like that."
Yahoo! Shine also posted an article titled "Gwen Stefani's Comments About Her 'Chunky' Body Makes Us Sad."
MTV News uncovered an old interview with Stefani from 1996 where she said she was "chubby" growing up. "I was like a chubby girl, a chubby kid my whole life," Stefani said. "So that's something that I've always had to work on." The "Hollaback Girl" singer, who currently expecting her third child, also revealed at the time that her mom put her on a diet at a young age. "I had a really a big Italian grandma, like this big . . . like a house," she said. "She was really cute and I used to cuddle in her chubby arms."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSad News
From Crowd Ignite