Gwen Stefani calls herself 'chunky' in 1983 photo, criticized for body-shaming
- Photo: @gwenstefani/Twitter1 of 8
- Photo: VM/Fame Flynet2 of 8
- Photo: Fame Pictures3 of 8
- Photo: All Access Photo/Splash News4 of 8
- Photo: Yogi Gims/GSI5 of 8
- Photo: Stoianov/Fame Flynet6 of 8
- Photo: WENN7 of 8
More Celeb News
- German retailer opening US flagship in CincinnatiMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 6:35:21 AM
- Seth Meyers prizes his new role as Emmycast hostMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 6:23:29 AM
- Bryan Cranston Meets His Idol, Dodgers Announcer Vin Scully (Photo)MSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 6:09:00 AM
- An 86-year-old Utah woman writes romance novelMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:50:09 AM
- Jackie Chan expressed shame over son's drug arrestMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:42:39 AM
- German retailer opening US flagship in Cincinnati
"Chunky me 1983. getting @officialsting autograph backstage. cut to . . ." Stefani wrote. In the vintage photo, a teenage Stefani is seen getting an autograph from Sting, who was straddling a motorcycle. For her meeting with the then-frontman of The Police, the soon-to-be rocker herself has an edgy, mohawk-inspired hairstyle and is wearing a yellow sweater, khaki shorts and white flats.
The flashback photo received some criticism on Twitter over Stefani calling herself "chunky." "@gwenstefani please don't call yourself chunky," one commenter wrote. "Too many girls and women look up to you for you to talk like that."
Yahoo! Shine also posted an article titled "Gwen Stefani's Comments About Her 'Chunky' Body Makes Us Sad."
MTV News uncovered an old interview with Stefani from 1996 where she said she was "chubby" growing up. "I was like a chubby girl, a chubby kid my whole life," Stefani said. "So that's something that I've always had to work on." The "Hollaback Girl" singer, who currently expecting her third child, also revealed at the time that her mom put her on a diet at a young age. "I had a really a big Italian grandma, like this big . . . like a house," she said. "She was really cute and I used to cuddle in her chubby arms."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite