Gwen Stefani: 'My Kids Are So Much Work!'
- Photo: Katy Winn/Invision/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Fame Flynet2 of 13
- Photo: PMB/ZOJ/WENN3 of 13
- Photo: Miguel/CPR/Fame Flynet4 of 13
- Photo: COBO/GSI5 of 13
- Photo: Fame Flynet6 of 13
- Photo: Fame Flynet7 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage8 of 13
- Photo: ISM/Stefan/Flynetpictures.com/Fame Flynet9 of 13
- Photo: Hector Vasquez/Pacific Coast News10 of 13
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP11 of 13
- Photo: Stefan Jeremiah/WENN12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 'Lilyhammer' Star Steven Van Zandt on His Place in TV History, Mandela and (PossibMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 3:18:15 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: 'Porcelain Horse' Writer-Director on the 'ExpecMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:39 PM
- Award-Winning Producers to Finance Documentary About Forgotten Film Legend (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:13 PM
- Obama Nominates Sony's Tom Rothman to National Council on the ArtsMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:47:27 PM
- 'American Hustle' and 'Saving Mr. Banks' Hit Box Office in Heat MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 1:44:28 PM
- 'Lilyhammer' Star Steven Van Zandt on His Place in TV History, Mandela and (Possib
There's No Doubt taking care of two boys can be exhausting!
After an 11-year break, Gwen Stefani has reunited with No Doubt to release a new album, "Push and Shove," in September. And the busy mother of two admitted in an interview with New York Magazine's Vulture that returning to her band was a "nice break" from being mom.
Since their last album, "Rock Steady," in 2011, all the band members -- Tony Kanal, Adrian Young, Tom Dumont and Stefani -- have become parents. Stefani, 42, married Bush guitarist and lead singer Gavin Rossdale in September 2002 and welcomed son Kingston on May 26, 2006, and son Zuma on Aug. 21, 2008. (She also released two solo albums, "Love. Angel. Music. Baby." in 2004 and "The Sweet Escape" in 2006).
"I don't think [parenthood has] mellowed us out, but priorities have to change," Stefani told Vulture. "Before, it was unspoken that the band was the No. 1 thing; there was not a girlfriend or someone else that could be before the band. It wasn't even something we discussed: it just was what it was. But we're at a stage where we don't have to be like that anymore; we can kind of do this when we want to do it."
"Like today, for instance, I told them, 'I cannot do 12-hour days anymore; stop it!' " she explained. "I just missed Kingston and Zuma going to sleep. But I get to talk to you, and it's actually a nice break — my kids are so much work," she said, laughing. "No Spider-Man for me tonight, but that's OK. I'll take a break."
The band hadn't intended to take such a long break from making albums together. "We were just burned out; we had toured so, so much, and it takes so much of yourself," Stefani said. "I got married and decided I wanted to do a dance record, and I didn't ever expect for it to be what it was or for the No Doubt thing to be such a long break, but it was one of those things where you just had to sort of follow your inspiration.
"And then as soon as I was done with that last [solo] tour, I was done. I was like, OK, I'm ready; I'm so ready for the No Doubt record. And then I got pregnant with Zuma, and it was really challenging to be pregnant and come off all the stuff I had done, and try to write. And that's why things got really delayed; it was like, impossible," she said. "I just couldn't do it; I had nothing left to give. And when I finally had [Zuma], we said, 'Let's just go on tour and try to get inspired.' And when we came off tour we wrote our first song."
No Doubt's sixth studio album, "Push and Shove," will be released Sept. 25.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
"Shah's of Sunset" star Asa Soltan talks about this season's drama, possible wedding bells with her boyfriend and more.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian hits up the happiest place on Earth on today’s Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde to Mario Lopez, see which stars have the hottest beach bods of 2013.Watch Video »
Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel talks to WW about wearing the $10 million bra, eating steak, Taylor Swift and if she plans to marry her boyfriend.Watch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'70s Style
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite