Jake & Taylor: Picture Perfect or Staged Photo?Related: Op Ed, Jake Gyllenhaal, Taylor Lautner
- Photo: Columbia/Promotional1 of 4
- Photo: USMagazine2 of 4
- Photo: Paramount Pictures/Promotional3 of 4
More Celeb News
- Cannes: Magnolia Acquires Kurt Russell Western 'Bone Tomahawk'MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 3:03:43 PM
- Bill Hader on 'SNL': Wacky, Tacky Wedding Farewell (Video) MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:55:41 PM
- The Weinstein Company Checks Into 'Suite Francaise' With Michelle WilliamsMSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:53:24 PM
- Wrekin Hill Acquires U.S. Rights to John Malkovich Movie 'Siberian Education'MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:34:32 PM
- 'Senna' Director Asif Kapadia to Direct Love Story 'Ali and Nino&aposMSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:11:10 PM
- Cannes: Magnolia Acquires Kurt Russell Western 'Bone Tomahawk'
By Drew Mackie
Remember that scene in "Vanilla Sky" in which Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz are walking in New York and coincidentally magically re-create the album art for "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan"? It's hard to miss if you're a Dylan fan, but even if you don't catch it, the film later points out that the scene was deliberately constructed to recall this iconic pop culture image. With that in mind, check out the new Us Weekly in the gallery to the left which features a photo of Jake Gyllenhaal and Taylor Swift, strolling through Brooklyn over the Thanksgiving holiday, looking very much in love -- and very much like that same 1963 album art. Weird, right?
So what could be going on here? There's always the chance that Jake and Taylor just happened into an arm-in-arm embrace in the way new couples often do. And because they're both A-listers, a paparazzo was there to snap the perfect shot, which just happens to look like the Bob Dylan cover art. It does happen. It even once happened to Barack and Michelle Obama. And we can explain away the similar clothing with the fact that that's just how people dress in late fall.
I suppose there's also the chance that Jake and Taylor could have consciously tried to recreate the album art. Jake seems like a guy who's well-cultured and Taylor … um, owns a guitar, so it's plausible that they both could have realized the potential for a Bob Dylan shout-out, only with the girl being the singer-songwriter and the boy playing the artsy part of Dylan's then-girlfriend, Suze Rotolo.
RELATED: See other celeb odd couples
But then there's the skeptical take. Honestly, Jake and Taylor seem like an odd fit. Between their age difference, their bodies of work so far, the fact that he seems like a New York Times kind of guy and she seems like more like a Pretty Princess Unicorn coloring book kind of girl, they don't strike us as people who would have all that much to talk about. So why the public courtship then?
Though I can't dismiss the possibility that Jake and Taylor are dating simply because they're both attractive, famous people who can afford to buy and sell small countries, they could also be going through the motions of couplehood just to stir up publicity. Taylor's third album dropped just over a month ago, while Jake's film "Love and Other Drugs" hit theaters last week. Could Jake and Taylor -- or their publicists -- have engineered the relationship simply to ensure that they both stayed in the spotlight? Could their relationship be as phony (but aesthetically pleasing) as this eye-catching Us Weekly cover? It's worth considering.
OK, fine. Less likely fourth scenario: Reality is just Jake Gyllenhaal's own personal "Vanilla Sky."
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite