Jane Austen museum in bid to buy author's ring from Kelly Clarkson
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks1 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP2 of 13
- Photo: Darryl Webb/Invision/AP3 of 13
- Photo: Dario Cantatore/Invision/AP4 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP5 of 13
- Photo: @kelly_clarkson/Twitter6 of 13
- Photo: Miguel Aguilar/PacificCoastNews.com7 of 13
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage8 of 13
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/StarTraks9 of 13
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage10 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP11 of 13
- Photo: SC2/WENN12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Belgian jazz musician Thielemans retires at 91MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 8:13:21 AM
- Dogs 'muttbomb' celebrities to boost adoptionsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 7:55:32 AM
- Book of Oprah Winfrey columns to be published in fallMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 7:06:17 AM
- Hogan's Heroes Star Cynthia Lynn Dies at 76MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 6:39:00 AM
- Review: 'Need for Speed' a thrilling stunt festMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 6:27:14 AM
- Belgian jazz musician Thielemans retires at 91
LONDON (AP) — Jane Austen's House Museum says it has received a $155,000 donation to help it buy the "Pride and Prejudice" writer's ring back from singer Kelly Clarkson.
Earlier this month the British government placed a temporary export ban on the gold-and-turquoise ring in the hope that money could be found to keep it in Britain.
The museum said Monday that it had raised $160,000 of the $236,000 asking price, most of it from a single anonymous donation.
RELATED: Guess the Grammy bling
Clarkson, an Austen fan, bought the ring at auction last year but has been prevented from taking it home to the United States. Museum fundraiser Louise West said the situation is a shame for Clarkson but that "the ring should stay in this country because there is so little of Austen's personal effects left."
RELATED: Celebrity engagement rings
Get out the vote
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
From the Atkins Diet to aerial fitness classes, see what stars like Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba and Beyonce do to keep in shape.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite