Janet Jackson: My Weight Gain Nearly Caused Diabetes
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: LTA/WENN2 of 11
- Photo: NutriSystem/.3 of 11
- Photo: Splash News4 of 11
- Photo: Danny Moloshok/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: M. Caulfield/WireImage.com6 of 11
- Photo: WENN7 of 11
- Photo: WENN8 of 11
- Photo: WENN9 of 11
- Photo: Damian Dovarganes/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 5:04:00 PM
- Stacy Keibler and Husband Welcome a Baby GirlMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- Matthew McConaughey Courted for 'The Stand,' Nearing Deal for 'Gold&aMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- The Mindy Project Taps Niecy Nash as Mindy's RivalMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- Steve Martin in Negotiations to Star in Disney's 'Magic Camp'MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:01:00 PM
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&
In a new cover story for Prevention magazine, Janet Jackson explains why so many people relate to her as a weight loss role model and reveals that her past weight gains nearly made her diabetic.
"I think people really connect with the idea of someone who's gained and lost weight in a very public way, and also someone who's an emotional eater," Janet, the current spokeswoman for Nutrisystem, tells the July issue of Prevention.
Among foods the pop singer is most likely to turn to during "emotional triggers" involving boredom, sadness, frustration, stress and work, are sweets. "Chocolate, cake, caramel apples -- there aren't many things I don't love," she says.
Janet said her body image was not the only concern she had while packing on the pounds. "Health was always a concern. When I gained weight in 2005, my nutritionist was very worried. I was close to having diabetes. Even when I lost it [and] then gained quite a bit back, there was always the thought of heart disease."
She said one of her best pieces of advice regarding exercise is to always try to keep it fun. "I don't like to work out, and I get bored easily. Tony Martinez [her trainer] is great. When I'm getting ready for a tour, I'll work out with the dancers. He'll put us in teams and we'll do all sorts of drills and races."
The pop diva also spoke about setting an example for her niece Paris -- Michael Jackson's 14-year-old daughter -- who is set to star in her first movie role in the 2013 fantasy film "Lundon's Bridge and the Three Keys."
"We've spoken about the fact that you're only a child once. I think there's a time for everything, and now is not the time [to act in films]," she said. "I told her I thought she should enjoy being a kid, possibly go to college -- or not -- but wait till she turns 18. She's a very tough, smart girl. But it's a cutthroat industry. I wouldn't want my child to do it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBare Beauties
From Crowd Ignite