Janet Jackson: My Weight Gain Nearly Caused Diabetes
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: LTA/WENN2 of 11
- Photo: NutriSystem/.3 of 11
- Photo: Splash News4 of 11
- Photo: Danny Moloshok/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: M. Caulfield/WireImage.com6 of 11
- Photo: WENN7 of 11
- Photo: WENN8 of 11
- Photo: WENN9 of 11
- Photo: Damian Dovarganes/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- W. Kamau Bell Laments "The Whiteness of Late Night"MSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Nicki Minaj Welcome at This NY High School, After Alma Mater Rejects HerMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Ashley Judd Has Tough Couple of Weekends at Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 2:47:00 PM
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Claims She Was Detained by LAPD, Mistaken for ProstitutMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 2:36:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars' Julianne Hough: "I Might Be Even Harder on Derek"MSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 1:34:00 PM
- W. Kamau Bell Laments "The Whiteness of Late Night"
In a new cover story for Prevention magazine, Janet Jackson explains why so many people relate to her as a weight loss role model and reveals that her past weight gains nearly made her diabetic.
"I think people really connect with the idea of someone who's gained and lost weight in a very public way, and also someone who's an emotional eater," Janet, the current spokeswoman for Nutrisystem, tells the July issue of Prevention.
Among foods the pop singer is most likely to turn to during "emotional triggers" involving boredom, sadness, frustration, stress and work, are sweets. "Chocolate, cake, caramel apples -- there aren't many things I don't love," she says.
Janet said her body image was not the only concern she had while packing on the pounds. "Health was always a concern. When I gained weight in 2005, my nutritionist was very worried. I was close to having diabetes. Even when I lost it [and] then gained quite a bit back, there was always the thought of heart disease."
She said one of her best pieces of advice regarding exercise is to always try to keep it fun. "I don't like to work out, and I get bored easily. Tony Martinez [her trainer] is great. When I'm getting ready for a tour, I'll work out with the dancers. He'll put us in teams and we'll do all sorts of drills and races."
The pop diva also spoke about setting an example for her niece Paris -- Michael Jackson's 14-year-old daughter -- who is set to star in her first movie role in the 2013 fantasy film "Lundon's Bridge and the Three Keys."
"We've spoken about the fact that you're only a child once. I think there's a time for everything, and now is not the time [to act in films]," she said. "I told her I thought she should enjoy being a kid, possibly go to college -- or not -- but wait till she turns 18. She's a very tough, smart girl. But it's a cutthroat industry. I wouldn't want my child to do it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Britney's new bachelorette status on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite