Jason Aldean files for divorce from Jessica Ussery after cheating scandal
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA1 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 15
- Photo: Amy Harris/Rex USA3 of 15
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA4 of 15
- Photo: Jason Merritt/GettyImages.com5 of 15
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/Invision/AP6 of 15
- Photo: Darron Cummings/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/Invision/AP8 of 15
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage9 of 15
- Photo: Isaac Brekken/Invision/AP10 of 15
- Photo: Larry Busacca/GettyImages.com11 of 15
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP12 of 15
- Photo: Jeff Bottari/Wonderwall13 of 15
- Photo: Ryan Pavlov/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Mark Ruffalo Tweets Pics From 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Set (Photos)MSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 9:39:00 AM
- Ratings: 'The Voice' Hits Low, But Still Tops Night for NBCMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 9:28:00 AM
- Chris Christie Won't Miss David Letterman's 'Fat Jokes,' Can&MSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 9:05:00 AM
- Grey's Anatomy Exclusive First Look: Grey Sloan Inundated After Possible Terrorist AttackMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 9:00:00 AM
- HBO Co-Producing J.K. Rowling's 'The Casual Vacancy' Miniseries With BBCMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 9:00:00 AM
- Mark Ruffalo Tweets Pics From 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Set (Photos)
Just a summer shy of their 12th wedding anniversary, Jason Aldean and Jessica Ussery's marriage is over. Seven months after the father of two was caught kissing "American Idol" alum Brittany Kerr, the country crooner has officially filed for divorce, Us Weekly can confirm. According to papers filed in Tennessee on Friday, April 26 -- the same day Us reported that he and his wife had separated -- the reason for the split is "irreconcilable differences."
"This is a really tough time for my entire family," Aldean tells Us Weekly in a statement about the divorce. "Jessica and I have been together since we were teenagers. We've been through a lot of ups and downs over the years as we grew up together as a couple. She will always be important to me because she is the mother of my children, and I know that we will both always make our daughters our No. 1 priority."
"I've learned that everyone always rushes to judgment when they hear news like this," he continues. "That's really hard because no one knows anything about our relationship but us. I understand that because of my job, I have to go through a lot of this in the public eye, but for my girls' sake, I really wish people would give us some level of privacy and at the very least be respectful of them."
Together since high school, the soon-to-be exes initially pledged to do whatever it took to repair their marriage in the wake of Aldean's indiscretion. They even made a joint appearance on a November episode of CBS "This Morning" to show the world that they were sticking by one another.
"It hasn't always been roses," Aldean admitted of his relationship with Ussery, with whom he has two young daughters, Keeley, 10, and Kendyl, 5. "We've been together for a long time and through a lot of things together. Those are things that most people get to deal with in private, but we didn't have the luxury of doing that."
"Any couple that's been married for 30, 40, 50 years" faces make-or-break moments, he added.
Alas, it appears the "Don't You Wanna Stay" singer's mistake was a "breaking" moment. Us Weekly first broke the news of the couple's separation last week, though a source told Us the high school sweethearts had actually separated back in January, three months after Aldean's cheating scandal. "There were obvious problems before the bar kiss, but he finally left earlier this year," the insider said, noting that Ussery didn't attend the ACM Awards with her husband in April.
A rep for Aldean confirmed that the spouses were going through a rough spot. "I can confirm that Jason and his wife are having problems, but there is nothing more to share at this time," the rep told Us. "It's a private family matter, and we hope everyone will respect that he would like to keep it that way."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Watch as Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Kirstie Alley talk about their tumble during their routine.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBaby Girl!
From Crowd Ignite