Jay-Z: How Fatherhood Has Already Changed Me
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: JM5/http://www.wenn.com/2 of 16
- Photo: JM5/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Kathy Willens/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: London Entertainment/Splash News5 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage8 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Wenzelberg/NY Post/Splash News10 of 16
- Photo: J. Vespa/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: Charles Krupa/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage.com13 of 16
- Photo: Splash News14 of 16
- Photo: MTV/Promotional15 of 16
More Celeb News
- First Look: Ming-Na Wen is Back at Mulan — This Time on Sofia the FirstMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 7:48:00 AM
- Monstrous Meals: Chef Josh Capon Talks FrankenfoodMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 7:48:00 AM
- Syfy's Face Off Returns With a Devious TwistMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 7:48:00 AM
- Why Terry Crews Wants to Be a MillionaireMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 7:47:00 AM
- Julianne Moore, Jake Gyllenhaal, Jessica Chastain Films Headed to Toronto Film FestivalMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 7:35:00 AM
- First Look: Ming-Na Wen is Back at Mulan — This Time on Sofia the First
Even Jay-Z has insecurities.
The 42-year-old mogul and his wife, Beyonce, are expecting a little girl in February, but like most first-time fathers, Jay-Z is nervous.
On Thursday in Hollywood at GQ's Men of the Year Party, Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, admitted that his less-than-perfect relationship with his own father makes him "a little paranoid" about having a child himself.
"I don't think any person or male goes into a relationship thinking they aren't going to be there," he said. "You just never know."
Jay-Z's father, Adnis Reeves, abandoned him at age 11. "If your dad died before you were born, yeah, it hurts, but it's not like you had a connection with something that was real," he explained to GQ magazine. "Not to say it's any better, but to have that connection and then have it ripped away was, like, the worst. My dad was such a good dad that when he left, he left a huge scar. He was my superhero."
It wasn't until 2003 that Jay-Z, then 33, reunited with his father. "[I talked about] what it did to me, what it meant, asked him why. There was no real answer. There was nothing he could say, because there's no excuse for that. There really isn't," he said. "So there was nothing he could say to satisfy me, except to hear me out. And it was up to me to forgive and let it go."
So how has impending fatherhood changed Jay-Z so far? "I've gotten taller," he quipped.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTI Can't Trust Men
From Crowd Ignite