Jay-Z: How Fatherhood Has Already Changed Me
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: JM5/http://www.wenn.com/2 of 16
- Photo: JM5/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Kathy Willens/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: London Entertainment/Splash News5 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage8 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Wenzelberg/NY Post/Splash News10 of 16
- Photo: J. Vespa/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: Charles Krupa/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage.com13 of 16
- Photo: Splash News14 of 16
- Photo: MTV/Promotional15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and CompMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:42:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Taps Andrew Gauthier to Lead Video DivisionMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Roger Goodell Won't Resign From NFL, But Promises Conduct Policy ChangesMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 3:29:00 PM
- HBO Suspends Pre-Production of Brian De Palma's Penn State Molestation Film 'To DeMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- Dancing's Derek Hough: We Have Something "Potentially Dangerous" PlannedMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and Comp
Even Jay-Z has insecurities.
The 42-year-old mogul and his wife, Beyonce, are expecting a little girl in February, but like most first-time fathers, Jay-Z is nervous.
On Thursday in Hollywood at GQ's Men of the Year Party, Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, admitted that his less-than-perfect relationship with his own father makes him "a little paranoid" about having a child himself.
"I don't think any person or male goes into a relationship thinking they aren't going to be there," he said. "You just never know."
Jay-Z's father, Adnis Reeves, abandoned him at age 11. "If your dad died before you were born, yeah, it hurts, but it's not like you had a connection with something that was real," he explained to GQ magazine. "Not to say it's any better, but to have that connection and then have it ripped away was, like, the worst. My dad was such a good dad that when he left, he left a huge scar. He was my superhero."
It wasn't until 2003 that Jay-Z, then 33, reunited with his father. "[I talked about] what it did to me, what it meant, asked him why. There was no real answer. There was nothing he could say, because there's no excuse for that. There really isn't," he said. "So there was nothing he could say to satisfy me, except to hear me out. And it was up to me to forgive and let it go."
So how has impending fatherhood changed Jay-Z so far? "I've gotten taller," he quipped.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBirthday Fun
From Crowd Ignite