Jay-Z: How Fatherhood Has Already Changed Me
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: JM5/http://www.wenn.com/2 of 16
- Photo: JM5/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Kathy Willens/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: London Entertainment/Splash News5 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage8 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Wenzelberg/NY Post/Splash News10 of 16
- Photo: J. Vespa/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: Charles Krupa/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage.com13 of 16
- Photo: Splash News14 of 16
- Photo: MTV/Promotional15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Former Napster COO Struck by Cop Car, Killed During Bicycle RideMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 7:27:16 AM
- 10 Oscar Lessons From the First Blitz of Critics' AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:58:45 PM
- 'Hobbit' Sequel's High Frame Rate Theaters Nearly Doubled But Warner BroMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:36:29 PM
- Leighton Meester to Make Broadway Debut Opposite James Franco in 'Of Mice and Men'MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 9:00:07 PM
- How Hollywood Infiltrated Miami's Art Basel (Photos)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 7:56:35 PM
- Former Napster COO Struck by Cop Car, Killed During Bicycle Ride
Even Jay-Z has insecurities.
The 42-year-old mogul and his wife, Beyonce, are expecting a little girl in February, but like most first-time fathers, Jay-Z is nervous.
On Thursday in Hollywood at GQ's Men of the Year Party, Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, admitted that his less-than-perfect relationship with his own father makes him "a little paranoid" about having a child himself.
"I don't think any person or male goes into a relationship thinking they aren't going to be there," he said. "You just never know."
Jay-Z's father, Adnis Reeves, abandoned him at age 11. "If your dad died before you were born, yeah, it hurts, but it's not like you had a connection with something that was real," he explained to GQ magazine. "Not to say it's any better, but to have that connection and then have it ripped away was, like, the worst. My dad was such a good dad that when he left, he left a huge scar. He was my superhero."
It wasn't until 2003 that Jay-Z, then 33, reunited with his father. "[I talked about] what it did to me, what it meant, asked him why. There was no real answer. There was nothing he could say, because there's no excuse for that. There really isn't," he said. "So there was nothing he could say to satisfy me, except to hear me out. And it was up to me to forgive and let it go."
So how has impending fatherhood changed Jay-Z so far? "I've gotten taller," he quipped.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
Khloe Kardashian, Jennifer Hudson, and Christina Hendricks all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAdele's PDA
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite