Jay-Z: How Fatherhood Has Already Changed Me
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: JM5/http://www.wenn.com/2 of 16
- Photo: JM5/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Kathy Willens/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: London Entertainment/Splash News5 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage8 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Wenzelberg/NY Post/Splash News10 of 16
- Photo: J. Vespa/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: Charles Krupa/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage.com13 of 16
- Photo: Splash News14 of 16
- Photo: MTV/Promotional15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Dimension Unleashing James Wan's 'Demonic' in Theaters This DecemberMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 10:16:00 AM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Premiere Generates 263,000 More Tweets Than OriginalMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 10:07:00 AM
- CBS Television Studios Names Two New Drama Development ExecsMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 10:00:00 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 12:52 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 9:52:52 AM
- Toronto mayor Ford orders 5 espressos in videoMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 9:49:12 AM
- Dimension Unleashing James Wan's 'Demonic' in Theaters This December
Even Jay-Z has insecurities.
The 42-year-old mogul and his wife, Beyonce, are expecting a little girl in February, but like most first-time fathers, Jay-Z is nervous.
On Thursday in Hollywood at GQ's Men of the Year Party, Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, admitted that his less-than-perfect relationship with his own father makes him "a little paranoid" about having a child himself.
"I don't think any person or male goes into a relationship thinking they aren't going to be there," he said. "You just never know."
Jay-Z's father, Adnis Reeves, abandoned him at age 11. "If your dad died before you were born, yeah, it hurts, but it's not like you had a connection with something that was real," he explained to GQ magazine. "Not to say it's any better, but to have that connection and then have it ripped away was, like, the worst. My dad was such a good dad that when he left, he left a huge scar. He was my superhero."
It wasn't until 2003 that Jay-Z, then 33, reunited with his father. "[I talked about] what it did to me, what it meant, asked him why. There was no real answer. There was nothing he could say, because there's no excuse for that. There really isn't," he said. "So there was nothing he could say to satisfy me, except to hear me out. And it was up to me to forgive and let it go."
So how has impending fatherhood changed Jay-Z so far? "I've gotten taller," he quipped.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSad News
From Crowd Ignite