Jay-Z: How Fatherhood Has Already Changed Me
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: JM5/http://www.wenn.com/2 of 16
- Photo: JM5/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: Kathy Willens/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: London Entertainment/Splash News5 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage8 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Wenzelberg/NY Post/Splash News10 of 16
- Photo: J. Vespa/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: Charles Krupa/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage.com13 of 16
- Photo: Splash News14 of 16
- Photo: MTV/Promotional15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 1:40:07 PM
- Zac Efron Shops Dildos in 'Neighbors,' Proving Once Again He's Far More TMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:43:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Storms Overseas Box Office With $88 MillionMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:41:00 AM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 2:47 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:40:29 AM
- Marvel expands Infinite with 'Ultimate Spider-Man'MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:33:56 AM
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
Even Jay-Z has insecurities.
The 42-year-old mogul and his wife, Beyonce, are expecting a little girl in February, but like most first-time fathers, Jay-Z is nervous.
On Thursday in Hollywood at GQ's Men of the Year Party, Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, admitted that his less-than-perfect relationship with his own father makes him "a little paranoid" about having a child himself.
"I don't think any person or male goes into a relationship thinking they aren't going to be there," he said. "You just never know."
Jay-Z's father, Adnis Reeves, abandoned him at age 11. "If your dad died before you were born, yeah, it hurts, but it's not like you had a connection with something that was real," he explained to GQ magazine. "Not to say it's any better, but to have that connection and then have it ripped away was, like, the worst. My dad was such a good dad that when he left, he left a huge scar. He was my superhero."
It wasn't until 2003 that Jay-Z, then 33, reunited with his father. "[I talked about] what it did to me, what it meant, asked him why. There was no real answer. There was nothing he could say, because there's no excuse for that. There really isn't," he said. "So there was nothing he could say to satisfy me, except to hear me out. And it was up to me to forgive and let it go."
So how has impending fatherhood changed Jay-Z so far? "I've gotten taller," he quipped.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite