Jay-Z to Star in Rocawear Commercial to Salvage Struggling Brand
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: London Ent/Splash News2 of 16
- Photo: Bill Kostroun/Invision/AP3 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: Bennett Raglin/WireImage5 of 16
- Photo: Johnny Nunez/WireImage6 of 16
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: Al Powers/PowersImagery.com/.8 of 16
- Photo: JM5/http://www.wenn.com/9 of 16
- Photo: JM5/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage12 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: Kathy Willens/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Wenzelberg/NY Post/Splash News15 of 16
More Celeb News
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:48:00 PM
- ABC's 'The Quest' Producers Reveal How They Found HeroesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:26:00 PM
- Sharknado 2 Sets Record With Nearly 4 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Javier Bardem clarifies comments in open letter about Middle East conflictMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Netflix Revives The Killing For One Last CaseMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:14:00 PM
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'
Jay-Z's various successes include sold-out concerts, singles that reach chart-topping success in days and the January birth of his daughter, Blue Ivy (with his wife, Beyonce Knowles). But one area that hasn't been so great for the star is his Rocawear clothing line.
The supermogul has decided to revamp the menswear line after a "rocky winter" where "Roc Apparel Group LLC laid off 28 of its 56 employees at its Manhattan headquarters," Women's Wear Daily reported Thursday.
The solution: a commercial with a big name.
Jay-Z, 42, is lending his A-list status and will star in the brand's first television campaign. Filmed in November, the spot will begin to air on outlets including MTV, BET and TNT, most prominently during NBA basketball games.
"Titled 'From Marcy to Madison Square,' the black-and-white spots track Jay-Z's rise from selling CDs out of the trunk of a car in the Marcy Projects of Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, to headlining concerts at Madison Square Garden. The spot uses footage from Jay-Z's 'Watch the Throne' concert at MSG in November," WWD writes.
Other efforts to help the brand, which saw global sales dip with a $500 million loss, include expanding its children's clothing and international markets reach.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
From Reese Witherspoon to Justin Timberlake, see some of the hottest stars from the south.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite