Jay-Z to Star in Rocawear Commercial to Salvage Struggling Brand
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: London Ent/Splash News2 of 16
- Photo: Bill Kostroun/Invision/AP3 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: Bennett Raglin/WireImage5 of 16
- Photo: Johnny Nunez/WireImage6 of 16
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: Al Powers/PowersImagery.com/.8 of 16
- Photo: JM5/http://www.wenn.com/9 of 16
- Photo: JM5/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage12 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: Kathy Willens/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Wenzelberg/NY Post/Splash News15 of 16
More Celeb News
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Does Mel Gibson Deserve Another Chance?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Resumes Production This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Obama pitches his health care plan on Funny or DieMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:01:01 PM
- ABC's Ratings the Most Glaring Challenge for Anne Sweeney's SuccessorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 3:58:00 PM
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?
Jay-Z's various successes include sold-out concerts, singles that reach chart-topping success in days and the January birth of his daughter, Blue Ivy (with his wife, Beyonce Knowles). But one area that hasn't been so great for the star is his Rocawear clothing line.
The supermogul has decided to revamp the menswear line after a "rocky winter" where "Roc Apparel Group LLC laid off 28 of its 56 employees at its Manhattan headquarters," Women's Wear Daily reported Thursday.
The solution: a commercial with a big name.
Jay-Z, 42, is lending his A-list status and will star in the brand's first television campaign. Filmed in November, the spot will begin to air on outlets including MTV, BET and TNT, most prominently during NBA basketball games.
"Titled 'From Marcy to Madison Square,' the black-and-white spots track Jay-Z's rise from selling CDs out of the trunk of a car in the Marcy Projects of Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, to headlining concerts at Madison Square Garden. The spot uses footage from Jay-Z's 'Watch the Throne' concert at MSG in November," WWD writes.
Other efforts to help the brand, which saw global sales dip with a $500 million loss, include expanding its children's clothing and international markets reach.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Nicole Richie, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite