Jay-Z: Why I Support Gay Marriage
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 21
- Photo: Castro/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 21
- Photo: Greg Tidwell/PacificCoastNews.com3 of 21
- Photo: Walter McBride/Retna Ltd.4 of 21
- Photo: Pacific Coast News5 of 21
- Photo: HD1/WENN6 of 21
- Photo: Patrick McMullan/.7 of 21
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 21
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage9 of 21
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage10 of 21
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage11 of 21
- Photo: beyonce.tumblr.com/Promotional12 of 21
- Photo: beyonce.tumblr.com/Promotional13 of 21
- Photo: RICHARD YOUNG/StarTraks14 of 21
- Photo: Jae C. Hong/Invision/AP15 of 21
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News16 of 21
- Photo: Janet Mayer/Splash News17 of 21
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News18 of 21
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News19 of 21
- Photo: Ronald Asadorian/Splash News20 of 21
More Celeb News
- The Biz: George Stephanopoulos Signs New Deal with Good Morning AmericaMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 9:31:00 AM
- Kerry Washington, Miley Cyrus, Benedict Cumberbatch Among Time's 100 Most Influential PeoplMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 8:05:00 AM
- Kevin Clash, Voice of Elmo, Cleared of Sex Abuse ChargesMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 6:57:00 AM
- Review: 'Hearthstone' card game is the real dealMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 5:46:01 AM
- Thursday Review: Bad Teacher, Black Box, Hulu's Moone BoyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:00:00 AM
- The Biz: George Stephanopoulos Signs New Deal with Good Morning America
He recently celebrated his fourth wedding anniversary with Beyonce Knowles, and now Jay-Z wants to ensure that every couple -- gay and straight -- is able to do the same.
The "Who Gon Stop Me" rapper, 42, voiced his support for same-sex marriage Monday during a Budweiser music festival press conference in Philadelphia.
"I have always thought of it as something that is still holding the country back," Jay-Z (real name: Shawn Carter) told CNN's Poppy Harlow, 30. "What people do in their own homes is their business, and you can choose to love whoever you love. That's their business. It is no different than discriminating against blacks. It's discrimination, plain and simple."
The 14-time Grammy Award winner and first-time father to daughter Blue Ivy, 5 months, joins a growing list of celebrities and politicians who are using their fame as a platform for social change; President Barack Obama, 50, recently came out in support of same-sex marriage during an interview with ABC News' Robin Roberts.
"I think it was the right thing to do," Jay-Z said of the President's history-making change of heart. "It's really not about votes. It's about people. So whether it cost him votes or not, I think it was the right thing to do as a human being." (His wife, 30, sang Etta James' "At Last" at Obama's inauguration in 2009.)
Other stars who have applauded Obama's new stance include reality star Kim Kardashian, 31, and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, 54.
"We've never had a President so supportive of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and today I am proud to be an American!" Kardashian blogged May 9. "I'm so happy that our country is making history and moving forward. No more living in the past!"
Echoed DeGeneres: "There have been moments in history when someone has had the courage to stand up for what they believe in and that one action changes everything. I hope that this is one of those times. It takes a brave man to take a stand like this especially in an election year. Mr. President, to you, I say, thank you, very, very much."
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Julianne's hunky Canadian hockey beau on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Lena Dunham to Kristen Stewart, see the most awkward red carpet posers.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek in Photos
From Crowd Ignite