Jenny Owen Youngs is gay and engaged
- Photo: Robb D. Cohen/RobbsPhotos/Invision/Invision/AP1 of 4
- Photo: Robb D. Cohen/RobbsPhotos/Invision/Invision/AP2 of 4
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 4
More Celeb News
- Jack O'Connell Thriller '71' Acquired by Roadside Attractions, Black LabeMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 3:00:00 PM
- The Biz: Jimmy Kimmel on Letterman, Fallon, and Late-Night Booking WarsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 2:44:00 PM
- Politician Apologizes for 'Racist' Tweet About NBA and Street Crime After StandinMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 2:22:00 PM
- Extant Exclusive: Louis Gossett Jr. to Play Halle Berry's FatherMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 2:22:00 PM
- 'Believe' Review: a Good Girl in Need of Darth VaderMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 2:18:00 PM
- Jack O'Connell Thriller '71' Acquired by Roadside Attractions, Black Labe
Folk star Jenny Owen Youngs says she is a lesbian and announced plans to marry her fiancee this summer.
RELATED: Most expensive celeb engagement rings
The singer-songwriter has opened up about her sexuality in a letter published on Everyoneisgay.com, a website run by her partner, Kristin Russo, revealing the couple is making plans to cement its relationship by exchanging vows.
In the letter, Youngs admits she kept her sexuality secret as a teenager due to her conservative upbringing, and has finally decided to go public in a bid to inspire gay youngsters.
She writes, "I'm writing to tell you, among other things, that I am super gay. This may or may not come as a surprise to you. If it does: Surprise! If it does not: You were right all along! Either way: Hooray! I didn't want to come out. I don't want coming out to be a thing that anyone has to do... I just wish that being gay (or transgender, or asexual, or fill-in-the-blank here) was as unremarkable to the masses as being left-handed or blonde..."
She goes on to credit her fiance with giving her the courage to "come out," adding, "This summer I am going to marry my fiance. Her name is Kristin Russo and she is one half of the team behind EveryoneIsGay.com. Having a firsthand view of the work that she... (does) has been inspiring, and has also made me think more critically about my decision. What kind of a message does it send to a teenager when I avoid a question about my sexuality? Whatever the answer, I'm confident that it is no longer a message I am comfortable sending...
"You are not an anomaly. You are not a mistake. I am thankful that in recent years, it has become a bit more common for people from all walks of life to step forward and identify themselves as human beings who also happen to be gay. I am proud to offer my voice to that expanding chorus."
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite