John Mayer: I Needed a Break After I Did 'Some Dumb Interviews'
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com1 of 23
- Photo: Brabus/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 23
- Photo: WENN3 of 23
- Photo: Capo/Splash News4 of 23
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN5 of 23
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage6 of 23
- Photo: AB1/WENN7 of 23
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage.com8 of 23
- Photo: Benassi/Splash News9 of 23
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com10 of 23
- Photo: RSD/APC/ZOJ/WENN11 of 23
- Photo: JE1/WENN12 of 23
- Photo: L. Cohen/WireImage13 of 23
- Photo: Richard Drew/Invision/AP14 of 23
- Photo: Rahav Segev/Retna Ltd.15 of 23
- Photo: BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM/Bauer-Griffin16 of 23
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage17 of 23
- Photo: L. Cohen/WireImage18 of 23
- Photo: L. Cohen/WireImage19 of 23
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage20 of 23
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage21 of 23
- Photo: RMB/ZOJ/http://www.wenn.com/22 of 23
More Celeb News
- California Senate Passes $330 Million Film and TV Tax Credit ExpansionMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 4:25:00 PM
- New Star Wars Film Resumes Production After Harrison Ford InjuryMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 3:44:00 PM
- 'Greatest American Hero' Reboot by '22 Jump Street' Team in the MSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 2:59:00 PM
- 'The Following' Showrunner Jennifer Johnson Exits After Only Three MonthsMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 1:19:00 PM
- A&E Networks to Buy Stake in Vice MediaMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 12:51:00 PM
- California Senate Passes $330 Million Film and TV Tax Credit Expansion
It's no accident that John Mayer has been avoiding the press for the past two years.
Following two explosive interviews with Playboy and Rolling Stone in 2010, where he likened his chemistry with Jessica Simpson to "sexual napalm" and blamed his split with Jennifer Aniston on his frequent tweeting, Mayer felt the need to escape.
"It was a very strange time and it sort of rocketed me into adulthood. It was a violent crash into being an adult," Mayer, 34, said on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" Tuesday. "For a couple of years it was just figuring it all out, and I'm glad I actually stayed out of the spotlight. Because I think back then I would of said, 'Give me two weeks or let me get out and do Ellen and let me explain myself.' It was like, 'No, idiot. Go away and be 33 and 34 instead of 28 for the fourth year."
Mayer said he "had to go home for a minute" to heal from the backlash in 2010. "The plan that originally gets you out of high school and your hometown, in front of people, that plan was over. I had done it. I just sort of lost my head for a little while."
The "Shadow Days" singer -- whose new album, "Born and Raised," will be released May 22 -- was forced to cancel his 21-city tour in March in order to remove a granuloma just above his vocal cord. (He first had surgery to remove the enlarged nodule in October 2011.)
"It's not a health concern whatsoever, but it has taken me out of singing," Mayer told host Ellen DeGeneres, 54. "I tried to beat it the first time and couldn't."
Mayer then explained how the medical procedure works. "They cut this thing out of your throat and then they inject your vocal cords with Botox, which freezes your vocal cords so that this thing can heal without smacking up against the other side," he said. "I just need more Botox next time."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Her Little Pony
Check out Khloe Kardashian, Kaley Cuoco and more stars who ride horses on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVolcano Vacay
From Crowd Ignite