John Mayer: I Needed a Break After I Did 'Some Dumb Interviews'
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com1 of 23
- Photo: Brabus/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 23
- Photo: WENN3 of 23
- Photo: Capo/Splash News4 of 23
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN5 of 23
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage6 of 23
- Photo: AB1/WENN7 of 23
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage.com8 of 23
- Photo: Benassi/Splash News9 of 23
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com10 of 23
- Photo: RSD/APC/ZOJ/WENN11 of 23
- Photo: JE1/WENN12 of 23
- Photo: L. Cohen/WireImage13 of 23
- Photo: Richard Drew/Invision/AP14 of 23
- Photo: Rahav Segev/Retna Ltd.15 of 23
- Photo: BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM/Bauer-Griffin16 of 23
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage17 of 23
- Photo: L. Cohen/WireImage18 of 23
- Photo: L. Cohen/WireImage19 of 23
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage20 of 23
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage21 of 23
- Photo: RMB/ZOJ/http://www.wenn.com/22 of 23
More Celeb News
- Sundance Competition Lineup Features Films Starring Kristen Stewart, Aaron Paul, Anne HathawayMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 12:59:17 PM
- HBO Lands Billy Crystal's Broadway Show '700 Sundays'MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 12:42:54 PM
- Rush Limbaugh Must Apologize to Pope Francis, Petition DemandsMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 12:13:04 PM
- Martin Bashir Resigns From MSNBC After Sarah Palin SlamMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 11:46:58 AM
- R. Kelly's Epic 'Trapped in the Closet' Is Getting More ChaptersMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 11:30:51 AM
- Sundance Competition Lineup Features Films Starring Kristen Stewart, Aaron Paul, Anne Hathaway
It's no accident that John Mayer has been avoiding the press for the past two years.
Following two explosive interviews with Playboy and Rolling Stone in 2010, where he likened his chemistry with Jessica Simpson to "sexual napalm" and blamed his split with Jennifer Aniston on his frequent tweeting, Mayer felt the need to escape.
"It was a very strange time and it sort of rocketed me into adulthood. It was a violent crash into being an adult," Mayer, 34, said on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" Tuesday. "For a couple of years it was just figuring it all out, and I'm glad I actually stayed out of the spotlight. Because I think back then I would of said, 'Give me two weeks or let me get out and do Ellen and let me explain myself.' It was like, 'No, idiot. Go away and be 33 and 34 instead of 28 for the fourth year."
Mayer said he "had to go home for a minute" to heal from the backlash in 2010. "The plan that originally gets you out of high school and your hometown, in front of people, that plan was over. I had done it. I just sort of lost my head for a little while."
The "Shadow Days" singer -- whose new album, "Born and Raised," will be released May 22 -- was forced to cancel his 21-city tour in March in order to remove a granuloma just above his vocal cord. (He first had surgery to remove the enlarged nodule in October 2011.)
"It's not a health concern whatsoever, but it has taken me out of singing," Mayer told host Ellen DeGeneres, 54. "I tried to beat it the first time and couldn't."
Mayer then explained how the medical procedure works. "They cut this thing out of your throat and then they inject your vocal cords with Botox, which freezes your vocal cords so that this thing can heal without smacking up against the other side," he said. "I just need more Botox next time."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Get all the pregnancy rumor scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Elsa Pataky to Ginnifer Goodwin, see some of Hollywood's new baby bumps on Wonderwall Replay.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Khloe Kardashian and more are spotted at Drake's concert in Los Angeles on today’s Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCause of Death
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite