John Mayer: 'I was just a jerk' to Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Aniston, Taylor Swift
- Photo: FRIOLO/NPG1 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 16
- Photo: Getty Images North America3 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com5 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage6 of 16
- Photo: Matt Baron / BEImages/Rex USA7 of 16
- Photo: Chris Carlson/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Kevan Brooks/AdMedia/Orchon/Dziekan/Kabik/Retna Digital9 of 16
- Photo: L. Cohen/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM/Bauer-Griffin12 of 16
- Photo: RMB/ZOJ/http://www.wenn.com/13 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage14 of 16
- Photo: Capo/Splash News15 of 16
More Celeb News
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and DevelopmentMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Bryan Singer Accuser Michael Egan Drops Sex Abuse LawsuitMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Pivot Network Now Available on College Streaming Service PhiloMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:31:00 PM
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Attracts 2.3 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Chiller 'As Above, So Below' Tries to Put Scare Into 'Guardians'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 2:53:00 PM
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and Development
John Mayer has a simple explanation for his foot-in-mouth tendencies when talking about his exes in public.
"I was just a jerk," the "Born and Raised" singer admitted in a sit-down interview with CBS "Sunday Morning," set to air on Feb. 10. The crooner, who has been happily dating fellow musician Katy Perry since June 2012 -- with a brief separation in August -- made headlines in 2010 when he referred to his ex Jessica Simpson as "sexual napalm" in a Playboy interview.
Now, however, the 35-year-old singer is recovering from surgery on his vocal cords and says he's looking to turn over a new leaf as he prepares for a return to the stage for the first time in two years.
"It's very liberating when you finally realize it's impossible to make everyone like you," he said in the interview. "I wanted everybody to like me. I thought I was one shuck and jive away in every direction."
It's a far cry from the Mayer who spoke candidly about his sexual relationship with Simpson, 32, in the March 2010 Playboy interview.
"Drugs aren't good for you if you do lots of them," he told the magazine at the time, comparing Simpson to "crack cocaine."
"Sexually it was crazy. That's all I'll say," he added of his relationship with the singer. The pair dated for about a year in 2006. "It was like napalm, sexual napalm."
Mayer also previously dated Taylor Swift, 23, who went on to write a song "Dear John," which fans speculated was about their ill-fated romance. In the June 2012 issue of Rolling Stone, Mayer criticized Swift's decision to write the lyrically revealing song.
"It made me feel terrible," he told the magazine, "because I didn't deserve it." The singers briefly dated in 2009.
"["Dear John" is] cheap songwriting," he continued. "It's abusing your talent to rub your hands together and go, 'Wait til he gets a load of this!' That's bulls--t."
Swift responded by calling Mayer "presumptuous… I never disclose who my songs are about," she told Glamour magazine in October 2012.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Golden Globe Style
Cojo predicts the trends for the 2010 Golden Globes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'The Bachelor'
From Crowd Ignite