John Mayer's New Song Is 'Farewell Letter' to Jennifer Aniston, Says Source
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/VF/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Capo/Splash News5 of 10
- Photo: Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: RSD/APC/ZOJ/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: WENN8 of 10
- Photo: RWO/WENN9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Tribeca: Patrick Stewart and Mary Elizabeth Winstead Steal the Show on Night 3MSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 12:36:00 AM
- Bryan Singer Accuser's Lawyer Says More Sex Abuse Lawsuits Against 'Hollywood InsiMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 7:39:00 PM
- Ryan Seacrest Set to Renew 'American Idol' Contract, but NBCU and E! Future UncertMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 7:14:00 PM
- '24's' Joel Surnow on Directorial Debut 'Small Time:' &MSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 3:48:00 PM
- 'Mad Men' Final Season Wish-List: What Don Draper's Fate Should Be (GuestMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Tribeca: Patrick Stewart and Mary Elizabeth Winstead Steal the Show on Night 3
Although they split nearly three years ago, the 34-year-old singer, whose exes also include Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Love Hewitt, penned his single "Shadow Days" (from the album "Born and Raised") with Aniston, 43, in mind.
"'Shadow Days' is about Jen," a source tells Us Weekly. "It really took him a long time to get over her. He really loved her a lot."
Sings Mayer in the song, "You find yourself alone ... I found myself in pieces/ On my hotel floor/ Hard times help me see/ I'm a good man with a good heart/ Had a tough time, got a rough start/And I finally learned to let it go."
Explains the source, "He wrote the song as a farewell letter knowing [Jen] would hear it. Ultimately he's done a lot of self-reflection, though, and he realizes they weren't right for each other."
The rocker and the actress first got together in April 2008 and, after multiple breakups, called it quits for good in late 2009. Aniston has been happily ensconced with Justin Theroux for over a year now.
"[John and Jen] weren't right for each other, but he is really a good guy," a source added.
After high-profile flameouts with both Simpson, 31, and then Aniston, Mayer is done dating celebs, the source adds, "He's looking for a nice, non-famous girl he can relate to. ... He loved [Jen and Jessica] both, but it really affected him emotionally and it wasn't worth it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Kim Kardashian, Emma Stone, and Solange Knowles all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Lena Dunham, and Anne Hathaway all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian, Kristin Davis, and Emma Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite