John Mayer's New Song Is 'Farewell Letter' to Jennifer Aniston, Says Source
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/VF/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Capo/Splash News5 of 10
- Photo: Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: RSD/APC/ZOJ/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: WENN8 of 10
- Photo: RWO/WENN9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Sex Abuse Lawsuit Against Bryan Singer DroppedMSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 8:20:00 AM
- Netflix Provides First Look at 'Marco Polo' and Premiere Date (Photos)MSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 8:16:00 AM
- See Brad Pitt's Wedding Ring!MSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 7:18:00 AM
- 'Rosewater,' 'Birdman' and 'Wild' Headed to TeMSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 7:11:00 AM
- First Look: Family Guy and The Simpsons Crossover Episode MSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 6:57:00 AM
- Sex Abuse Lawsuit Against Bryan Singer Dropped
Although they split nearly three years ago, the 34-year-old singer, whose exes also include Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Love Hewitt, penned his single "Shadow Days" (from the album "Born and Raised") with Aniston, 43, in mind.
"'Shadow Days' is about Jen," a source tells Us Weekly. "It really took him a long time to get over her. He really loved her a lot."
Sings Mayer in the song, "You find yourself alone ... I found myself in pieces/ On my hotel floor/ Hard times help me see/ I'm a good man with a good heart/ Had a tough time, got a rough start/And I finally learned to let it go."
Explains the source, "He wrote the song as a farewell letter knowing [Jen] would hear it. Ultimately he's done a lot of self-reflection, though, and he realizes they weren't right for each other."
The rocker and the actress first got together in April 2008 and, after multiple breakups, called it quits for good in late 2009. Aniston has been happily ensconced with Justin Theroux for over a year now.
"[John and Jen] weren't right for each other, but he is really a good guy," a source added.
After high-profile flameouts with both Simpson, 31, and then Aniston, Mayer is done dating celebs, the source adds, "He's looking for a nice, non-famous girl he can relate to. ... He loved [Jen and Jessica] both, but it really affected him emotionally and it wasn't worth it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPup Power
From Crowd Ignite