John Mayer's New Song Is 'Farewell Letter' to Jennifer Aniston, Says Source
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/VF/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Capo/Splash News5 of 10
- Photo: Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: RSD/APC/ZOJ/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: WENN8 of 10
- Photo: RWO/WENN9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Revolutionary opera director Gerard Mortier diesMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 5:54:34 AM
- Jonathan Demme selling vast art collection in Pa.MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 5:51:16 AM
- Lena Dunham Jokes About 'Girls' Nudity in 'SNL' MonologueMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 9:11:00 PM
- Stacy Keibler Has Surprise Beach WeddingMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 7:28:00 PM
- Science Channel Greenlights Craig Ferguson Series 'I F-ing Love Science'MSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 7:10:00 PM
- Revolutionary opera director Gerard Mortier dies
Although they split nearly three years ago, the 34-year-old singer, whose exes also include Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Love Hewitt, penned his single "Shadow Days" (from the album "Born and Raised") with Aniston, 43, in mind.
"'Shadow Days' is about Jen," a source tells Us Weekly. "It really took him a long time to get over her. He really loved her a lot."
Sings Mayer in the song, "You find yourself alone ... I found myself in pieces/ On my hotel floor/ Hard times help me see/ I'm a good man with a good heart/ Had a tough time, got a rough start/And I finally learned to let it go."
Explains the source, "He wrote the song as a farewell letter knowing [Jen] would hear it. Ultimately he's done a lot of self-reflection, though, and he realizes they weren't right for each other."
The rocker and the actress first got together in April 2008 and, after multiple breakups, called it quits for good in late 2009. Aniston has been happily ensconced with Justin Theroux for over a year now.
"[John and Jen] weren't right for each other, but he is really a good guy," a source added.
After high-profile flameouts with both Simpson, 31, and then Aniston, Mayer is done dating celebs, the source adds, "He's looking for a nice, non-famous girl he can relate to. ... He loved [Jen and Jessica] both, but it really affected him emotionally and it wasn't worth it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Hank Azaria talks about his new documentary series "Fatherhood," his family and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite