John Mayer's New Song Is 'Farewell Letter' to Jennifer Aniston, Says SourceRelated: Jennifer Aniston, John Mayer
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/VF/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Evan Agostini/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Capo/Splash News5 of 10
- Photo: Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: RSD/APC/ZOJ/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: WENN8 of 10
- Photo: RWO/WENN9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Cannes: 'The Missing Picture' Wins Un Certain Regard PrizeMSNEntertainment 5/25/2013 11:05:21 AM
- Cannes: Lesbian Coming-of-Age Story 'Blue Is the Warmest Color' Wins Fipresci PrizMSNEntertainment 5/25/2013 10:48:45 AM
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Driving Record Memorial Day Weekend at Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 5/25/2013 7:34:58 AM
- Good Morning, Cannes: From Bloody Fun to Bloody SchlockMSNEntertainment 5/25/2013 6:55:12 AM
- PowerGrid's Biggest Movers of the Week: Chris Pine, Noah Baumbach's Projects BoostMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 6:42:06 PM
- Cannes: 'The Missing Picture' Wins Un Certain Regard Prize
Although they split nearly three years ago, the 34-year-old singer, whose exes also include Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Love Hewitt, penned his single "Shadow Days" (from the album "Born and Raised") with Aniston, 43, in mind.
"'Shadow Days' is about Jen," a source tells Us Weekly. "It really took him a long time to get over her. He really loved her a lot."
Sings Mayer in the song, "You find yourself alone ... I found myself in pieces/ On my hotel floor/ Hard times help me see/ I'm a good man with a good heart/ Had a tough time, got a rough start/And I finally learned to let it go."
Explains the source, "He wrote the song as a farewell letter knowing [Jen] would hear it. Ultimately he's done a lot of self-reflection, though, and he realizes they weren't right for each other."
The rocker and the actress first got together in April 2008 and, after multiple breakups, called it quits for good in late 2009. Aniston has been happily ensconced with Justin Theroux for over a year now.
"[John and Jen] weren't right for each other, but he is really a good guy," a source added.
After high-profile flameouts with both Simpson, 31, and then Aniston, Mayer is done dating celebs, the source adds, "He's looking for a nice, non-famous girl he can relate to. ... He loved [Jen and Jessica] both, but it really affected him emotionally and it wasn't worth it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Khloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Tara Reid all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Katy Perry incites a Twitter feud with a 17-year-old rapper. Get the dirty details on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite