John Mayer's New Song Is 'Farewell Letter' to Jennifer Aniston, Says Source
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/VF/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Capo/Splash News5 of 10
- Photo: Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: RSD/APC/ZOJ/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: WENN8 of 10
- Photo: RWO/WENN9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Watch This Tonight: The Real Housewives of New York CityMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:07:00 AM
- Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Pedro Almodovar Condemn Israel for Gaza AttacksMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:04:00 AM
- Ethan Hawke, Kevin Smith, Jean-Luc Godard Among New Crop of Directors Sending Films to TorontoMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:58:00 AM
- Die Hard Star James Shigeta Dies at 81MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:49:00 AM
- Earnings: New York Times Co. Profit Down 21% in Q2MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:43:00 AM
- Watch This Tonight: The Real Housewives of New York City
Although they split nearly three years ago, the 34-year-old singer, whose exes also include Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Love Hewitt, penned his single "Shadow Days" (from the album "Born and Raised") with Aniston, 43, in mind.
"'Shadow Days' is about Jen," a source tells Us Weekly. "It really took him a long time to get over her. He really loved her a lot."
Sings Mayer in the song, "You find yourself alone ... I found myself in pieces/ On my hotel floor/ Hard times help me see/ I'm a good man with a good heart/ Had a tough time, got a rough start/And I finally learned to let it go."
Explains the source, "He wrote the song as a farewell letter knowing [Jen] would hear it. Ultimately he's done a lot of self-reflection, though, and he realizes they weren't right for each other."
The rocker and the actress first got together in April 2008 and, after multiple breakups, called it quits for good in late 2009. Aniston has been happily ensconced with Justin Theroux for over a year now.
"[John and Jen] weren't right for each other, but he is really a good guy," a source added.
After high-profile flameouts with both Simpson, 31, and then Aniston, Mayer is done dating celebs, the source adds, "He's looking for a nice, non-famous girl he can relate to. ... He loved [Jen and Jessica] both, but it really affected him emotionally and it wasn't worth it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek in Photos
From Crowd Ignite